Resources with Links relative to helping to prevent
chronic pain caused by post-surgical adhesions.
For information about adhesions research conducted
by the IAS click
Sample photos and videos are listed by section below.
For a wider selection of photos and videos related
to adhesions, please
For information about adhesion prevention products click here.
PLEASE NOTE: Many links are to external sites; they
will open in new windows.
Where possible we have tried to find review articles
from the peer-reviewed medical literature. Where possible,
please follow link to the “Free Article”
for a listing of articles on adhesions
in the last year in the medical literature.
Abdominal & Pelvic Adhesions
What Are They and How Can They Be Prevented? – Information
form the American Society for Reproductive Medicine
Adhesions – information provided
by the National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse
adhesions: definition, origin, significance
in surgical practice, and treatment options.
- Adhesions – an overview from the National Library
of Medicine. En Espanol: Adherencias - Biblioteca Nacional
de Medicina de EE.UU
- Adhesions – another overview form the National
Library of Medicine – with good links
- Adhesions - An Overview by Dr. Dan Martin
inpatient burden of abdominal and gynecological adhesiolysis
in the US. Analysis of 2005 statistics
reveals inpatient expenditures of $2.3billion. See
our own analysis of the same numbers which reveals
even higher costs.
implications of postsurgical adhesions,
authored by IAS Advisor, Dr. Michael Diamond.
- Prevention of adhesions in gynaecological endoscopy
- Adhesion prevention and treatment using traditional/
- Do Men Get Adhesions, an informative look by David
Wiseman PhD, MRPharmS, Founder, International Adhesions
- For a compendium from a Google search of photographs
of adhesions, click
- For a compendium of photographs from a Google search
of adhesions being cut (adhesiolysis), click
- Adhesions after appendectomy
- Adhesions involving the uterus, bowel ovaries and
- Adhesions of the large and small bowel and omentum
- Gastrointestinal Pathology: Adhesion between loops
of small intestine
- Adhesions - General Information
- Adhesions and the female organs
- Bowel and peritubal adhesions
- Adhesions in the pelvis
Adhesions and Infertility
- INFERTILITY: AN OVERVIEW from ASRM
- InterNational Council
on Infertility Information Dissemination (INCIID) is a nonprofit organization
that helps individuals and couples explore their family-building
options. INCIID provides current information and immediate
support regarding the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention
of infertility and pregnancy loss, and offers guidance
to those considering adoption or childfree lifestyles.
Adhesions, ARD and CAPPS
- Disorders of adhesions or adhesion-related disorder:
monolithic entities or part of something bigger--CAPPS?
This is the landmark
paper produced as a result of
IAS research. Click
here for the PubMed abstract and
here for a lay summary.
- Click here for our page with a
more detailed discussion of ARD, CAPPS and all of the
Adhesions – Medicolegal Aspects
v. Dauterive – Malpractice case involving
consequences of post-operative intra-abdominal adhesions 2009 review authored by IAS advisor, Professor
Harold Ellis, CBE.
consequences of postoperative intra-abdominal adhesions.
2001 review authored by IAS advisor, Professor
Harold Ellis, CBE.
- Adhesions and Informed Consent. Read
here about the
IAS’ work on the information provided to patients
about adhesions and adhesion barriers.
Adhesions – Regulatory Aspects
- FDA Panel Meeting to discuss the FDA Guidance Document
on Devices for Surgical Adhesions, January 25, 2000.
here for the transcript as well as
here for Dr. Wiseman’s presentation on behalf of the IAS
to the Panel.
Guidance for Resorbable Adhesion Barrier Devices
for Use in Abdominal and/or Pelvic Surgery; Guidance
for Industry, June 18, 2002.
- European Commission MEDICAL DEVICES: Guidance document
- ADEPT PMA P050011
- ADEPT – Summary of FDA Panel Meeting March
2006 Summary and transcript – also
- INTERCEED PMA 880047
- INTERGEL PMA 990015
INTERGEL – Documents at FDA - Summary of
Safety and Effectiveness
- INTERGEL Summary Panel Minutes January 12 2000
- INTERGEL – Dispute Resolution Panel Meeting
September 6 2011 – Roster of documents
- INTERGEL – FDA
announcement regarding withdrawal, April 16, 2003
- OXIPLEX – FDA Executive Summary of
2008 Panel meeting
- REPEL CV – Summary of Safety and Effectiveness
- Seprafilm PMA 950034
Adhesions – Treatment and Adhesiolysis
- Adhesion prevention products – see our page
adhesion prevention: still a sticky subject?
- Adhesions and adhesiolysis: the role of laparoscopy
- Management and prevention of pelvic adhesions
- Prevention of peritoneal adhesions: A promising role
for gene therapy
- The effect of oral honey and pollen on postoperative
- Adhesiolysis of Bowel from Right Pelvic Sidewall
Lysis of Abdominal Adhesions: an animated
video describing the surgical procedure of laparoscopic
Adhesiolysis Video from an Indian surgeon,
- Adhesiolysis by robotic surgery
of INTERCEED by laparoscopy
- Myomectomy – removal of uterine fibroids – by
laparotomy with placement of Seprafilm
- Placement of Sprayshield
Adhesions and Bowel Obstruction
small bowel obstruction in children and adolescents: operative utilization and factors associated
with bowel loss.
the use of anti-adhesion barriers affected the national
rate of bowel obstruction? This work documents
the use of adhesion barriers using the ICD9
codes that the IAS helped to establish for the application of
an adhesion barrier. Another example of IAS action
small bowel obstruction: epidemiology, biology
- Intestinal obstruction
review of the management of small bowel obstruction. Members of the Surgical and Clinical Adhesions Research
Study (SCAR). Authored by IAS Advisor, Professor Harold
obstruction: still a lethal clinical entity.
Guidelines for Diagnosis and Management of Adhesive
Small Bowel Obstruction (ASBO): 2010 Evidence-Based
Guidelines of the World Society of Emergency Surgery.
- Small bowel obstruction
- Strangulated small bowel obstruction
- An internal hernia in which a loop of bowel and mesentery
has been caught, which is one complication of adhesions
from a previous surgery
- CT of Small Bowel Obstruction
Breast Implant Scarring (Capsular Contracture)
implants, common complications, and concurrent
of capsular contracture and breast implant
Sealant Demonstrates Reduced Complications From Breast
Cancer Surgery. Phase ll clinical trials...October
15,1997. Fibrin Sealants are tissue adhesives used
during surgical procedures for hemostasis and of tissues.
Fibrin sealants offer three primary benefits related
to wound healing: speed, less scarring, and reduced
leakage and blood loss.
Adhesions and C Section
- Do adhesions at repeat cesarean delay delivery of
adhesion prevention at cesarean section: an analysis
of the effectiveness of an absorbable adhesion
barrier. This paper shows the effect of INTERCEED on
adhesions from C section.
- A review of the complications caused by adhesions
in cardiac surgery
- Insertion of middle-ear Silastic sheeting during
tympanoplasty: hearing outcomes
- Eye muscle surgery
- Amniotic membrane transplantation for restrictive
overview of adhesions after hand surgery and methods
to remove them (tenolysis)
- Groin pain after open hip surgery: the role of intraarticular
Hysterectomy and Adhesions
Please see our page on hysterectomy here.
Intrauterine Adhesions (Asherman’s Syndrome)
Please see our page on Asherman’s Syndrome here
- How to treat the stiff total knee arthroplasty?
- Labial Adhesions, a parents guide
Lung, Pulmonary Adhesions
Pathology: repeated episodes of inflammation
can result in scarring which has resulted in fibrous
adhesions between the lobes of the lung.
Peritoneal Sclerosis, Sclerosing Encapsulating
Peritonitis (Common after peritoneal dialysis)
- Pathogenesis and treatment of encapsulating peritoneal
Shoulder, Adhesive Capsulitis, Frozen Shoulder
- Rotator cuff lesions with shoulder stiffness
- Effectiveness of subacromial anti-adhesive agent
injection after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
- Prevention of adhesion after endoscopic sinus surgery
- Effectiveness of spinal endoscopic adhesiolysis in
post lumbar surgery syndrome
- Systematic review of percutaneous adhesiolysis and
management of chronic low back pain in post lumbar
- Systematic review of effectiveness and complications
of adhesiolysis in the management of chronic spinal
ADHESIVE ARACHNOIDITIS SYNDROME by Dr Sarah
Smith MB BS
- Burton Report on Adhesive Arachnoiditis
- Circle of Friends
Society for Awareness and Prevention (ASAP)
here for video
Other Related or Possibly Related Conditions
- Fitz-Hugh-Curtis (FHC) Syndrome. See our
page on FHC here
- Lichen sclerosus. See our page here
SYNECHION: A one-stop place to learn what pharmaceutical
companies are doing in the field of research to find
an adhesion barrier that will provide protection to
surgical patients from post-surgical adhesions.