Re: colo-rectal surgeon

Mon Jun 14 16:55:36 1999

So what is he going to do for you? What is his name and where is he located?

>>> Christine M. Smith <smithy@maine.rr.com> 05/20 5:29 PM >>>
My appointment with the colo-rectal surgeon was very interesting. He was great. I think I am on the road to a correct diagnosis. I hope you don't think all he did was "pass the buck". First we spoke (in the presence of a medical student which is to the patient's advantage because in this situation the doctor spends a *lot* of time with the patient) and I said "I'm beginning to think that my adhesions are not necessarily the cause of my problem" and he commented with "I really am glad you said that." After we spoke he examined me and went on to explain how his wife had the same exact problem! First she went to her gynecologist because the pain felt exactly like an ovary/tube problem she once had. The gyn was not impressed. Then they found a large cyst. He was still not impressed and suggested crohn's disease. The tests (Ct Scan etc.) were all negative. A visit to the orthopedic surgeon didn't get any answers. Somehow she ended up at a rheumatologist and a bone scan was ordered. She had a definite inflammation of the sacroiliac joint, given antiinflammatories and is now fine. I find this most interesting because I spent several years in a rheumatologist's office about 10 years ago, never getting a diagnosis before the problem went away. Or did it? He also said that he didn't think the malposition of my colon would cause problems (which makes sense considering the fact that its probably been that way for at least 20 years and has functioned fine). He said he has seen colons that looked like they were tied in knots. He said it was very easy not to notice something like this in a colonsocpy because you don't get a very good perspective. So, I'm optimistic.

Chris S.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: