Dr. Moore Responds

Thu Jan 9 15:05:49 2003

Some pretty harsh responses from this board. I suspected that would be a likely response. I have had a lot of experience with adhesions and it is a very frustrating problem. And I have done a lot of surgery to remove adhesions (in fact I did a laparoscopic lysis of adhesions today), with mixed results.

To dispel a few incorrect statements- 1) I am only 33, so my knowledge is not outdated. I finished residency in 1999.

2) Never did I say "Go home and deal with it" although this may be better advice than that given by some of the people on this website. You see the problem with "I did this and now I'm better" advice (called anecdotal evidence in medical terms) is that it just isn't valid.

A real scientific experiment involves a placebo arm, where patients are given similar treatment but without the "magical" cure or medicine. Because as all of you know some people don't form adhesions- this means that sometimes "nothing" works to prevent adhesions. And that's where barriers like Intercede (and probably this Spraygel) failed.

I always tell my patients that if a treatment is not proven to work, but works for them (eg herbal supplements) they should do it. As long as it is not super expensive (eg flying to Germany and paying out of pocket for surgery) and isn't harmful (like surgery can be). Dr. K should remember the first rule of medicine, Primum non nocere- first do no harm. And if his treatment works, then prove it. It's quite simple to prove medical therapies work, I would love to start using his techniques tomorrow if they worked.

Finally, do your own research. THE PLACE for researching medical literature is PUBMED. Here is the website, search for your self- the website gives you abstracts (short summaries of the experiments/clinical trials) and the original source so you can go to the library and look at the original articles. Here is the website:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

Oh, one last point- The "you don't know what we're going through" argument also doesn't work in medicine. I don't know Dr. K's story, but I doubt he has pelvic adhesive disease. And I assure you that to be a good cardiologist you don't have to have a heart attack and to be a good neurosurgeon you don't have to have a brain tumor.

At Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Koolinsask@aol.com wrote: >
>Dear Dr.Moore, yes, I would have to agree with Sally, the sad part is, you
>nor any doctor out there, can relate to what pain we go through, the daily
>struggles, the depression, some of us are unable to work any longer, many of
>us are very young, with very young children, just beginning our lives!!!!!
>Only to be stripped of a "normal life". Too many doctor's tell us to go home,
>suffer, sorry there is nothing we can do! This attitude has got to stop, we
>need help, and we for so long have relied on our caregiver's to educate
>themselves, to help us......well, it hasn't happened, we have come together
>here on this forum, to help one another, to give support, to FIND help...if
>that means spending money, money in which, is nothing when it comes to one's
>health, then so be it!!!!!! I would also advise yourself, and hundreds of
>other's out there, to please consider, researching, and try to understand
>what it is that each and everyone of us is going through, it's an utter
>nitemare!!!!! Please, i am not trying in anyway shape or form, to discredit
>anyone doctor out there, but rather, pleading with you , to learn more, and
>instead of telling us to go home, tell us, you are trying, you are
>researching, and that you CARE, AND UNDERSTAND!!!!! We are all human, just
>like your' wife, your' daughter, son , husband, mother , father etc......we
>want to live, we want to see our children grow up, we want to take care of
>our children, and get through our day's , just like you do!!!!!!!!!!! Thank
>you for at least dropping in, and maybe reading through some of our stories,
>that is a very nice first step....please, come back, and inform us, of any
>new happenings that you may find out there!!!!!!
>
>Cherryl

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: