New to the Message Board

Fri Feb 1 18:00:48 2002

Hello everyone, My name is Mary Lou, I am 57 and I am a nursing instructor. just found out about this site a few days ago and although I now have a self-diagnosis, I am so depressed to read about the severity of the pain all of you are suffering, and the lack of anything helpful except pain management. I realize that I have had adhesions for decades. Severe pelvic pain started in 1972, which was treated by ruling out pelvic mass by x-ray, and then having psychological therapy for years, with no let-up in the pain. In 1977, I got married and stop using birth control (IUD, which probably caused the initial adhesions) and found out that I was infertile because of adhesions of the fallopian tubes. I had unsuccesful reconstructive surgery for that , and we adopted two children (from Mexico and Korea). Both turned out to have severe learning problems and our son is also an addict, since age 11!. He is in recovery now and doing so-so but at least doesn't live with us any longer. Living with an active addict child for 9 years and another with chronic depression and suicidal episodes nearly did me in. Both are children are now stabilized and function fairly well most of the time. Three years ago, various women friends of mine I met in Alanon (Support group for family and friends of those who suffer from the disease of addiction began having cosmetic surgery of various types. They convinced me that I should do something for myself after the years I spent sacrificing and trying to save others from themselves (an impossible goal). They asked, "What have you always wanted but couldn't get? I responded, "A waistline". Thus, I had a cosmetic procedure called a abdominal and back lift, and have been in pain since, but it was tolerable until one month ago, when it became unbearable. The incision goes all the way around my torso, and it is all adhesed!!!!!!!!!Someone wrote on this message board that it felt like a turtle had bitten her side, latched on and wouldn't let go. Only for me, it feels like 16 turtles, all the way around. I have tried a variety of meds and now take Amitryptline to sleep through the pain at night, and just survive during the day going from adivl to tylenol every three hours. As I am a college professor, and have to be "on", it is getting nearly impossible for me to continue acting as if I am "OK". I retreat to my office whenever I can, and lie on the floor, which does help the horrible pulling pain, I exercise (water aerobics, stretching, walking on treadmill, and I also use a product called Sambra which is just a lotion like "Deep Heat" that provides a different stimulus to the painful area (that of hot and cold). The worse thing about all this is that I DID IT TO MYSELF!!!!!!! by having elective cosmetic surgery. It sounds so petty compared to some of you who have had so many surgical procedures for diseased organs. I should have stayed a middle-aged woman with no waistline; it was such a mistake, and I have such regret. Now I have constant pain to the point that I am totally worn out. I have had suicidal thoughts from time to time. From reading the posts from others, I think maybe I should investigate getting better pain control. What recommendations do you have for me, if any? Thanks, Mary Lou

--
Mary Lou

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: