Lap complications

Fri Apr 28 09:18:17 2000

I was reading through the message archives yesterday and came across Christine's story. I wrote a letter to the board but through my tears hit the wrong button. By that time I was so wiped out I walked away from the puter. I could relate to most of Christine's symptoms. My belly too blew up to 9 months pregnant size...I relived it all over again as I read and my heart cried.

I form horrible keloids. My scars are not pretty neat white lines...they are raised bumps that stay furiously red for years...sometimes always staying red (not just surgical scars).

I am in the process of organizing all the data I"ve collected over the years. I have two "retired" physicians who are willing to help go over the data and would really like to gather more statistics.

The number of people who've been harmed is incredible. It's not just during surgery for adhesions...but oftentimes the injuries were related to adhesions. I've also seen many people harmed because they would not be listened to...because the doc knew best...I know there are several issues here...I have to practice isolating them. Basically I"d like to see us all become informed consumers. We often know our bodies better than anyone else. We really should have a voice...

I met a whole group of men who were suffering from symptoms of adhesions too. They formed a support group...they had all the symptoms of adhesion problems and had complications seeming to stem from adhesions...yet had never heard of them.

sorry if I am breaking off on tangents...having much pain this day.

Water: sorry 'bout that. Yes, I do drink that much. I tend to dehydrate if I don't. I toss in electolytes periodically as they seem (from blood tests) to really get off balance. Part of this may be due to heat, medications, my personal body, bladder injury, and my bowel injury. I've been told that because now I have large section of bowel missing that it's easy to dehydrate...I've not really looked into it but don't want to take chances (and I have been treated for dehydration several times). Geez...I didn't think it was that much water...sometimes I can drink more...I was out shopping one day and in less than half an hour drank a gallon. I have no swelling...no edema...not overweight...I"ll check with the doc although he knows I do and encourages it. I take lots of vitamins etc...I tend to run fevers a lot...something about microscopic pockets of infection in the abdomen and possibly the inflamation. When pain gets out of hand I tend to sweat profusely. Pours off my face...soaks my hair...and I do recieve proper treatment for pain.

Surgical history. Approximatly 12 surgeries in the course of my life both laparotomy and laparoscopic. Adhesion formation after all. First time they went in no adhesions. second time some adhesions. third time don't know. Fourth time obliterated by adhesions. Fifth time c-sec. sixth time unreal amount of thick, dense vascular adhesions. seventh time c-sec. Eighth time told going to get worse with surgery...never have scope done...laparotomy only if life threatening sympt. ninth new doc didn't listen...tenth-life saving surg. eleventh...doc wanted to "make it up to me"...twelth Life-Saving due to damage ...need more surgery due to other injuries sustained during the ninth and eleventh surgeries...can't do it though. Was initially refused proper life saving treatment...treatment I was reccomended would have killed me. I sought opinions...not treatment...from over a dozen docs across the country...many professors...conclusion: the doc was correct after the eighth surgery...No More!! There are people who suffer life threatening complications... some can't be helped...many could have...I've listened to the stories...People have died too...some from the surgery, some because they were not listened too, some due to arrogance, some because they were sent home from ER's without proper diagnostics. I have a friend who suffered for years from what she suspected was adhesion pain...She was to have a vaginal hysterectomy...I believe with scope assistance not sure...Anway she pleaded...begged for a laparotomy. The doc said Nope...your insurance will not cover it. She cried...she told him you just don't understand...She was worried about her bladder...Well, the outcome was she suffered injury to her bladder...she is still having problems...she's been walking around with a catheter for quite a while...uncomfortable...humiliated...doc isn't sure if things will be okay...other damage too. The doc said...I am soooo sorry. Apologizes every time he sees her and feels really bad. He asked, well how did you know I couldn't do surgery this way? She ended up with horrible infection too. When the doc went in he was not prepared for what met him...even though his patient tried to tell him...she's not a doctor...she didn't have the proper words.

Well I just rambled on huh? Sorry everyone. Bad morning today though. I wish good health to all of you!!

Ya know, when people are hurt...their familes and friends suffer to...matter of fact many times the entire community suffers I believe all of...regardless of our "status"...have a great deal to contribute and do contribute...Also, if the surgeries are not helping...what about the option of pain control...keeping a close eye on the patient...and if they are having bowel problems then considering surgery?

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: