Appearances Can Be Deceiving...

Fri Dec 3 11:20:11 1999

Yesterday someone made the comment to me that because I don't look sick, I will have a hard time convincing a doctor that I'm truly in pain and need to have my adhesions dealt with. I do take the time some days to put on make-up because it makes me feel better. I also dress relatively well. I work in a conservative law firm so I can't wear jeans to work. I've been overweight for years so I'm not exactly skin & bones.

The person that said this to me said that she can't even tell when I'm in pain. I work very hard to make myself look presentable and I have the "stiff upper lip" mentality so I'm not one to allow casual/business acquaintances to know I'm feeling. Am I to be penalized by the doctors just because I don't look like I'm at death's door and because my manner is almost always sunny? I was raised to never allow my personal feelings to show to anyone other than immediate family.

Ordinarily someone else's opinion wouldn't concern me but this person is usually right on the money when it comes to things of this nature. It really bothers me that I'm being judged on this basis.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: