Re: lung adhesions

Tue Feb 17 22:28:31 2009

Dear Katie,

President Clinton had trouble breathing after his heart operation, so they did more surgery to remove adhesions around his lungs. So you're in good company, right there with the President of the United States. Just try to remember that doctors can't see adhesions and they have really, really strict rules about doing things without proof. Plus surgery is only about 75 percent successful, and even has a risk of making you worse. So doctors don't like to talk about it, much. They often "drag their feet" about doing anything with adhesions, which is both a good and a bad thing at the same time. It's a conflict.

There are ways to prevent adhesions, but they have risks and it's hard to measure their success. My guess is that these things are more effective than doctors are allowed to say. So I think you should tell your doctor you want him to consider using one or two of them. Ask him/her to discuss the pros and cons of using Celebrex, Fibrinolytics (enzymes, etc.), and adhesion barriers. If your doctor doesn't know about those three things, then find another doctor who does. The lazy ones don't know about these things, but the ones who pay attention to the latest research, do. They can give you a better answer than I can about whether to use them or not.

Here's a link to read about Mr. Clinton

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/10/national/main679236.shtml

Yours,

--
Mark in Seattle

At Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Katie wrote: > >um im katie i had a spine surgery for scoliosis july of 2008. my >doctor told me i might be having lung adhesions so they are real but >unheard of without surgery i think, i Want and Oxygen Mask, i want one >and need one, i get like attacks hurting both my lungs, I'm 13 and my >scoliosis degree was 72 and i weigh 115 pounds, and i am normal and >all, i had anterior and posterior, they put rods in screws on my spine >and deflated my lung and I'm tired of everyone telling me its nothing >because whenever i can't barley breathe i hesitate to call 911, and >I've had them for a few months and my doctor doesn't do anything. > >At Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Michelle wrote: >> >>No problem at all. We're all just out here searching for answers. >>Thanks-Michelle >> >>At Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Lee Hope wrote: >>> >>>Michelle: i keep asking people if you can get adhesions on your lungs >>>and in your thoracic cavity! I have been short of breath for the past >>>few mos and the drs dont seem to find much but mild obstruction on any >>>tests altho most recently one did find some inflamation. I was thinking >>>that perhaps it was from the abdominal adhesions attaching from my ab to >>>my lungs/ diaphragm and somehow making me irritatated (i pray not). Can >>>that happen? I believe if it's scarring of the lung they call it >>>fibrosis. But fibrosis shows on an x ray. If it's adhesions it >>>wouldnt. I dont want to give you any false answers, but i now ther's a >>>copd site you can go to for answers. I will mail it to your private >>>address. I'm still seeking answers on whther or not adhesions from >>>infection/water/inflamation in the abdomen can travel up into the lung >>>and thoracic cavity. Also can fluid from your ab get into the area of >>>your lungs? My right lung above te sight of the surgery feels "bound >>>down". If anyone knows can they please mail me? Sorry to jump in on >>>your e mail michelle. will mail you that site. lee

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: