Re: Adhesions and weight: Is there a connection?

Mon Feb 2 13:54:22 2009

Okay, The weight thing is a "hogwash"! Sedentary lifestyle or extra weight do not cause adhesions! They may make living with adhesion more difficult! Exercise and less adominal fat allow for the intestines to work the best they can in a very challenging enviroment! Diet is also another factor that aids the intestines to work the best they can in a difficult environment.

Yes, adhesions may make exercising difficult and in turn causes more problems with the organs that the adhesions adher to. Just like many other disorders and illness, extra weight just exasberate the problems. Exercise increase blood flow and keep everything pliable. Ahesions can take away the ability to exercise without a doubt, but not exercising does not cause more adhesions. Surgery and trauma trigger the growth of adhesions.

Adhesion have a life of their own! I would advise an exercise that doesn't cause pain. Pain is a signal that something is happening inside us. I would be concerned that the inflamation response to pain(trauma) could trigger more adhesions. I am not an expert but when I have extreme pain I take it easy...no bouncing or running.....but I do keep moving. I am gentle with myself.

But we must also remember that we are women who normally have issues with weight! ...it's our hormones but then add another complication.....pain and difficulties with eating and not being sure what is good to eat. It is always in the back of my mind that if I eat this I might have a problems. I live with this daily. Than I have cravings and throw caution to the wind and a loaf of sourdough bread with fresh butter looks pretty yummy and satsifying for the moment and I may or may not suffer concequences for my indulging. I have never been overweight and am involved in skiing, running and fitness training. I can see how someone can become too thin as I sometimes go on "fasts" or a liquid diet to rest my intestinal tract and have experienced weight loss which I usually have no problem gaining back. I still like food and one food that causes me a problem may not cause it the next time. This is where I have to set down "rules" for myself. These also alleviates worry for my family and friends who help me with the diet issues because they don't want to see me suffer. I follow my "rules" out of respect for them as well, even thought I do know I could have a forbidden item and be fine alot of times.

BTW I have had adhesions and complications from adhesions all my life. I am 39. I had surgery at birth and another at 1 year of age. I also had undissolvable sutures come out of the wall of my stomach until I was in my early teens which causes more adhesions and scar tissue. Another suture came out on it's own a year after my 2nd c-section and 33 years after the orginal surgery! I am blessed not to be suffering more than I do especially after reading previous posts but my complications have gotton worst as time marches on. I do a have a "plan of action" in place that is able to prevent alot of complication from my adhesions.

As I finish writing this, I do hope I could encourage someone. At this point I do not look for a "cure" but rather how I can live with this condition in a respectful and affirming way. My challenges with my intestines is all I have known my whole life. This is just a small part of who I am.

Blessings, Linda

>----- Original Message -----
From: "NY House" <MaryJACK3@hotmail.com> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.obgyn.net> Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 10:27 PM Subject: Re: Adhesions and weight: Is there a connection?

>
> before my surgery - original surgery that ultimately caused the
> adhesions...
> I had lost 1/5 of my entire body weight - was truly dead man walking, or
> so
> I was told later.
> and beware of generalities anyways, though they are interesting.
> like my gallbladder thing - couldn't 'find it' they said since I wasn't
> close to the 4 Fs...
> Fat, Female, Forties, and I've since Forgotten the last one,
> Forgot wasn't it.
> :)
>
> their so called connections are mere generalities that appear to do more
> harm than good...
> perhaps good for that fat 41 year old female, found her gallbladder
> problem
> in a few seconds I'd imagine.
> But if you don't fit them.. it's going to be a while.
>
> and funny how it's always our fault.
> if you're over weight and suffer from anything - see, you did it to
> yourself
> so stop complaining.
> ridiculous.
>
> please don't be confused...
> your right in my book!
> because by the time they diagnose us for anything we usually are down to a
> pound and a half, and skinnier than a wet q-tip.
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> From: "Katie" <katie_scarlett67@hotmail.com>
> Sent: Monday, February 02, 2009 12:13 AM
> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.obgyn.net>
> Subject: Adhesions and weight: Is there a connection?
>
>> I was talking to a nurse last week at my GYN's office and she said that
>> they predominately see more adhesions in overweight women than they do
>> in thin women. If this is true, how is that most women that complain
>> about adhesion pain are rail thin because they can't eat??? Are they
>> heavier before and then lose the weight because of the
>> adhesions/digestive problems?
>>
>> Also, she said that sedentary lifestyles add to adhesion problems but
>> from what I have read on here, women give up exercising and the like
>> BECAUSE of all the pain from the adhesions.
>>
>> I'm so confused.
>>
>> Katie
>>
>
> http://www.adhesions.org/forums/message.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version: 8.0.233 / Virus Database: 270.10.16/1928 - Release Date: 01/29/09
17:57:00

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: