that's the problem with narcotics.

Fri Jul 11 19:26:34 2008

From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of JMoore4877 Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:02 PM Subject: Re: That's the problem with narcotics.

I agree with you Caryn.  When you have a thyroid problem, blood pressure, etc.  You take a pill to fix it.  If you have pain you take a pill to help you.  Yes there are side effects, there are side effects to everything,  I want quality of life, if taking pain meds give me that so be it.  Yes I may have long term problems, but now I have some quality life somewhat pain free.  It is everyones own decision on how treat their pain.  We all have to do what is best for us individually.  Don't be afraid to try pain meds, just be sure to constantly have your blood work done to help catch any damage done you may or may not ever have from the meds.  Stay optimistic and keep fighting.  After all we are all in this together for support no matter our individual decisions.  Lots of love and hugs all!   In a message dated 06/23/08 22:23:40 Pacific Daylight Time, krdfld writes: Caryn, I have been on narcotics long term they are not just for short term or end of life treatment. If you get the right pain clinic they can help you with that. With any treatment there is usually some type of side effects for certain people. You say you're just given suggestions and that you did, but you also discourage the use of narcotics and implied people shouldn't be on them long term. We are all very different and different things work for each one of us in different combinations. I think it's nice that we have this form of communication to let people know of new ideas and treatments, but I also think we should be carefully in discouraging treatment that work for so many people in agony without many choices to live a normal life. Kathi

-----Original Message----- From: carynlruzich@comcast.net To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@mail.obgyn.net> Sent: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:58 pm Subject: Re: That's the problem with narcotics. Kathi & Sheri O,   I did not mean to imply that narcotics are of no use to people in pain.  That is something you read into my reply.  What I had to say about narcotics was from my personal experience, specifically pertaining to ME.   How I wished narcotics were a long term fix for myself!  I have had over 20 surgeries in 30 years and have had all the pain medications modern medicine has to offer.  I have been to a couple pain clinic.  I have been prescribes fentyl patches, morphine, codine, dilaudid (one of my personal favorites) in an attempt to relieve my pain but unfortunately also have damaging side effects for ME.  Since I have an ileostomy, my digestive track is short and therefore anything that slows it down causes me to experience severe pain.    I am well acquainted with the wonders of narcotics from my own experience as well as from my loved ones experiences.  If they work for you that is great!  But for many, narcotics are not without side effects and limitations.  It is medically excepted that tolerance to any drug can be achieved by prolonged use.  And once you've exhausted nacotics as a means to pain relief, there is little more medicine has to offer.   So my entire point was to carefully consider what you expect from narcotics.  From my experience and one I'm relatively sure most physicians will tell you, narcotics are reserved for short term or end of life treatment because of the harmful and dangerous side effects.  And the more you use them, the more of them you need over time to achieve the same results.  That's why I offered up some options I have found to help ME (sometimes).    I judge no one, especially those of us who live in constant pain.  I just had surgery 8 weeks ago and I already feel the little buggers back.  Narcotics are not an option for me, so I do what I can to make MYSELF more comfortable.          Best of luck!   Caryn

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: