Re: sigmoid blockage scared to death

Sun Mar 25 18:50:30 2007

>I haven't even been given any advice on how to
>manage my diet to prevent a complate blockage. My own research says low
>fibre, low residue but while taking opiates for teh pain, how on earth
>do I avoid constipation when I'm not supposed to take laxatives or
>softeners?

Just went thru this identical confusion. For years Docs had me on low residue and low fiber diet for almost 13 years. I suffered chronic partial bowel obstructions and 1 complete obstruction.

A new Doctor put me on HIGH fiber and HIGH residue, stool softener and a gentle natural laxative at bedtime...and I am all sorted out and managed. I also take 5 Perocet a day and this diet was given to offset the opiate effects. Much to my surprise, this high fiber low carb diet has stopped the unpredictable diarrhea blow-outs, as well as constipation and most important the chronic obstructions. I found that meat was a binder and the Doctor had told me carbs are binders..so I eat fresh vegetables, fruit and specific high fiber foods.

It takes getting used to the volumn of stool this produces, but it regulated me and NO obstructions. For years I avoided fiber and ruffage, what a mistake that was...

My history is extensive adhesions, 8 surgeries last one in 1994, I will NOT have any more unless life or death. I also have small bowel to large bowel fistula's [holes that connect them causing digestion to shortcut] a complication of adhesion surgery. I am considered, "in-operable".

I also last year was treated for "Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome" due to medical mismanagement of my adhesion disease. We are so traumatized by the fear of obstructions, the overwhelming pain often NOT managed, hurt and disgust from non-believing Doctors..and chronic desparation for help and hope to teach us to manage our hell....

Finally, in 2006....the diet change made a HUGE difference, my pain is managed and I have regained quality of life and do not have to worry where the closest bathroom is any more..this kept me a recluse and home-bound [fear of embarrassment].

At 50, my focus is MANAGEMENT of my disease, as I believe there is no cure and I do not chase surgical consults...they are a short term solution for a long term problem. Surgery is what got me in this mess.

I understand Germany has done well for many, but every case is different and so many of us cannot afford this chance.

I am no longer working due to this disease and applied for Soc Sec disability Sept 2005, and my case battles on...the Veterans Admin gave me 100% service connected disability for my adhesive disease. It is now a battle to hold on waiting for Soc Sec to rule.

I do NOT want to sound like a surgical nay-sayer...I wish everyone the best of love and support to find a balance between their disease and quality of life. I just personally due NOT look at more surgery as a viable option and cringe everytime members talk about hunting out yet another surgeon.

God Bless you all! You are much loved :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: