Re: sigmoid blockage scared to death

Fri Mar 23 14:53:18 2007

You bet I'm being mismanaged but this is the UK and our health service doesn't treat people, only numbers and targets. If I ask for a second opinion I will just have to wait months and months. I did actually see a different surgeon abou the pain and passing out on the toilet in January but he was worse; he didn't even investigate or take a proper history. He just said I must have IBS. I am very worried about the barium enema. I've had one before but I can't remember what the prep was like. I have a horrible feeling that I had to take a very strong laxative which would be very dangerous in this situation. Even my GP has told me that so I can't understand why the surgeon wants to do one but of course I can't get to see him. He insists on doing this before seeing me. I'm going back to my GP tomorrow but I suspect he will just say the surgeon knwos best. I haven't even been given any advice on how to manage my diet to prevent a complate blockage. My own research says low fibre, low residue but while taking opiates for teh pain, how on earth do I avoid constipation when I'm not supposed to take laxatives or softeners?

At Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Rebecca Tucker wrote: >
>You are obviously being very mismanaged. It doesn't matter if you're having
>a panic attack, but the fact is that you are having pain that is causing
>such terror. It's inhumane for them to NOT address your problem and be
>extremely aggressive with the treatment. If you have a flat colon, that may
>be due to adhesions, but it can also be a sign of circulatory compromise
>related to the adhesions interfering with circulation. I'd be screaming for
>another opinion. A barium enema may be the last thing you need now!!!
>Reba

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: