Re: New to the Forum- need advice!

Tue May 16 20:24:19 2006

Kirsten,

I, too, had surgery when I was very little. I ignored the scar, which is pulling my skin down in dimples. But when I was 32, I started having trouble with a pinched nerve and a partial bowel obstruction that clears if I tilt my pelvis the right way. It's uncomfortable and worse when I sleep, or try to sleep. Apparently that old scar in more than just skin deep. Who knew?

After getting quite a run around, I'm finding that the best explanation is adhesions. And I marvel at the lack of responsiveness of doctors to this diagnosis. It seems there's not much that anyone can say or do with any certainty. So it's up to you and me to stop waiting for a doctor to provide guidance. It's not going to happen. Not unless we develop a life threatening bowel obstruction. Then there will be no option but to do more surgery, which I'm starting to understand is by no means going to fix the problem.

Welcome to the club. But there is hope. Perhaps when Celebrex is approved, surgeons will have a free hand to go back in and fix things without fear of doing more damage. Perhaps fibrinolytic enzymes can do the same thing if the dutch research study is correct. Who knows? The answers should be coming soon. I'd hold off finding a surgeon as long as you can. But if you can't wait there are a few surgeons outside the US who will do the surgery. It costs a lot and insurance is not going to help you. And even then, those same surgeons will tell you that any relief they bring could very well be short lived. Some people have submitted to multiple surgeries and come out worse than when they started. So beware. It isn't an option for someone afraid to take a chance.

I've attached an article with the best information that I know of. I hope it helps you.

yours,

--
Mark in Seattle  (suburb)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: