Re: bowel obstruction and fiber in diet

Mon May 1 21:53:03 2006

Hello, All. I've spent HOURS online trying to research dietary and other preventative measures (if such exist) for recurring bowel obstructions, especially those that can cause perforation. I had surgery about 8 months ago from a bowel obstruction caused by unknown adhesions. The bowel perforated, so they had to perform surgery. Serious stuff. A few months following the surgery I started having some intermitant abdominal pains that a doctor explained was probably scar tissue. He said there wasn't much I could do about it or much I can do about preventing another obstruction. I refuse to believe that. I've read much online about measures that can be taken. I figure if I can reduce the chances by a few percent, I'm better off than doing nothing. So i've upped my intake of fiber, work out more regularly, and drink a BUNCH of water. I don't know if that has helped, but I haven't had any pain for about a month now. I was less concerned about the pain than I was having another obstruction, though. I read something recently, however, that REALLY confused me. It seemed to contridict everything I've read before. "Patients who have had a bowel obstruction or have undergone bowel surgery (for example, a colostomy) should not eat a high-fiber diet." What?!!!? They didn't bother expounding on this. (By the way, if you copy and paste that quote, it will come up in many different sources, so I don't know where it originated). I really don't know what to think, and I'm very discouraged now. Can anyone offer me some guidance here? Is there a source that can speak clearly on this point?

--
Peter

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: