My Adhesion Experience (continued)

Fri Sep 17 10:29:06 2004

After finding how much diet helped my adhesion pain I decided to experiment (safely) with other possible aids. Having done some medical research on my job I probably was in a better position to do this than most. About 2000 I started walking 12 miles per week in three 4-mile sessions. Again, the positive results were very noticeable. My pain episodes were reduced though not as quickly or as much as diet had done.If I had to quantify it I would say diet reduced my time in pain from 80% of the time to 40% and exercise reduced that to 25%.

I noticed that I had more pain when under stress or excitement than otherwise (daughter's wedding and vacations were particularly bad). So I discussed depression (antianxiety) medications with my physician. I tried three (at different times) but to no avail. However, the fourth medication seemed to help. I only take it when I feel stressed or when I feel pain coming on. I doubt the same medication would be helpful to most people and there is potential for abuse so I thought very long about whether I should give the name. On the chance it might help someone I will tell you it is Xanax. I take about 8-10 0.25 MG tablets per MONTH. Please discuss this in depth with your physian before trying it and please don't overdo it. I find if one or two (the second 12 hours later) tablets don't work, additional medication doesn't help. Xanax does not seem to be a common prescription for adhesions. In my case, I estimate medication reduced pain from 25% of the time to 15%. I also noticed that after a blocked intestine episode I had less pain for a week or so. I lose about 10 pounds in each episode (average) and gain it back in roughly 10 days. Since adhesion pain is initiated by pulling by the adhesion it makes sense to me that reducing the distance between ends (oversimplified)by removing fat might help. I'm trying weight loss with initially good results.

My quality of life has improved greatly in the last few years and I'm getting back into society. I have pain probably less than 10% of the time in the past few months. Perhaps it is just my body adjusting but I truly believe the above items helped me.

--
Max Brown

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: