Does Your Doctor Deny Your Pain?

Wed Sep 8 10:00:40 2004

My oncologist ordered special x-rays in response to my persistent complaints about abdominal pain, bloating, etc. It was called a "small bowel series." If your doctor thinks pain is exaggerated or all in your head, request/demand a small bowel series of x-rays. The films will be invaluable in showing your doctors exactly where and what the problem is. Not only will any narrowing and tethering of the intestines show, the doctor may also see smooth areas which could be the dreaded adhesions. If your bowel is distended, this will also show.

If you have this series, you will be asked to swallow barium. The x-ray machine will tilt so that the barium will flow into all areas of the intestine. You will also be asked to bend from side to side to help this process. The film is called a "scout radiograph."

After reviewing the films, I noticed a change in attitude from my oncologist. I suspect he initially did not take my complaints very seriously. Following the x-ray series, I met with my surgeon to discuss options. I actually had a surgery date scheduled but decided to cancel. Fortunately the surgeon was very upfront with all the possible negatives that could result, including making my condition worse. Cancellation was the right decision for me, as my problems have greatly lessened and my quality of life is very good, sometimes excellent!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: