new to this site

Sun Jan 25 21:09:17 2004

Hi, I was just researching adhesions on the web and came across this site and wanted to say hi. I am 29 and just had my first experience with adhesions, and it was worse than the sub-total colectomy I had 8 months ago. I did not realize that others were going through what I was going through, and I must say thanks because reading some of these messages made me feel a lot less lonely.

I had severe pain, and Drs. told me it was Crohn's flare, even though I was only 3 months post op and the operation I had was supposed to leave me crohn's free for at least a few years. I was admitted in Nov. for 5 days, no eating, no drinking. IV steroids, pain mangement, antibiotics. Sent home on steroids, but never got better. On the 26th of Dec. The pain was so bad I couldn't move, I went to the ER, and they admitted me. I hadn't eaten in about 3 days. Once again, Dr. said I was flaring. Same routine, but this time the pain wouldn't go away. I asked for dilauded, somthing I never do, they sent in a shrink to talk to me about a drug problem. The doctors, surgeons, nurses, they all doubted me. I was in so much pain, I couldn't place a finger on my abdomen without wincing. The doctors are running every test imaginable, they even stuck a tube down my throat because they thought my pain might be from ulcers. Anyway, after 2 and a half weeks in the hospital with no food, and 20 pounds lost, my surgeon decided to do exploratory surgery, although he made it very clear that he did not want to do this. I woke up the next day with 2 small incisions, and one very large incision down the center of my abdomen. During the exploration they found 8 adhesions, they could not be lysed laproscopically, so they re-opened my incision from my previous operation. The surgeon came to visit me once after the operation, during the 2 minutes he spent with me he only talked about how difficult it is to locate adhesions, and they had to cover all of thier bases. I am finally home, in bed, but eating.

OK, sorry to babble, I just needed to share my fury at the medical profession. In november, when my white count was 20.000 I couldn't eat, and I had severe abdominal pain, they should have thought of adhesions. None of my doctors listened to me, and they actually started to not believe that I was in pain. I told my GI that I truly hope that the next time (hopefully their won't be one) I, the patient who has pain, had to quit school, 29 and rarely leaves the house, I will be listened to.

So, thats my story, once again sorry to babble, and I look forward to reading more of your postings. Hope everyone is feeling as good as can be today.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: