Re: re anita

Wed Apr 16 09:06:16 2003

Thanks so much, Connie. I think I'm just so paranoid because the surgery itself was bad and I hemorrhaged. After that, I developed an ileus (you may know what this is - - I had no idea at the time but it's an air pocket(s) that obstruct the bowel because it hasn't "awakened" from the anesthesia) and that took several days to resolve. It resulted in an NG tube going down my nose and tube feeding for 4 days. I think I was just so in shock because so many of my friends who had had hysterectomies had not had any problems at all and were, in fact, saying "this will be the best thing you ever do". I'm not feeling that way yet.

I had previously had an appendectomy about 7 years ago where the appendix was bound down with endometriosis. That op report said there were several adhesions to remove from the lower bowel. The good thing is that my gynecologist found a minimal amount of adhesions when doing the hysterectomy this time. Therefore, I don't know whether I'm an "adhesion grower" or not since there was 7 years between these surgeries. That bowel thing just scares me because of my experience in the hospital. Frankly, I can deal with the on/off feeling of the adhesion that I know I have in my lower left side. The pain isn't enough to stop me from my daily activities and I know that it is still early after my surgery. So, Connie, I don't want to bore you with more of my experience but it would really help me to know how you knew you had a bowel obstruction. You mentioned an overgrowth of bacteria - - how did you know that? I'm ordinarily a rational person but you're right - - fear is gripping me right now. My husband and some friends are planning a vacation to the beach in 5 weeks and in the back of my mind I'm thinking what if a bowel obstruction occurs and I can't get to a hospital quick enough? Having had irritable bowel syndrome for years, I occasionally suffer many of the same symptoms one might experience if they were having a bowel obstruction so I don't know how to tell the difference. Thanks for listening.

Anita E-mail: ARivera@covhlth.com

-----Original Message----- From: Spincon58 . [mailto:spincon58@hotmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 11:22 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: re anita

anita,

the worst fear is fear itself. I'm 10 weeks post op from an open surgery to take down adhesions. This is my second bowel obstruction surgery. It's so hard to recover when you feel that familuar pain and you know its going to start all over again. time works for me and getting back to my routine as soon as I can. when its absolutely necessary and your in extreme pain or the obstruction is

causing bacterial overgrowth(in my case) they will be willing to preform lysis of adhesions. You'll know when its time to have surgery.

connie

This E-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended only for the use of the Individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this E-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this E-mail in error, please immediately notify us at (865) 374-4900 or notify us by E-mail at hdesk@covhlth.com.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: