Re: Need advice, (kidney surgery and/or pain management)

Tue Apr 1 19:35:54 2003

>>Hi Jayne: Thanks a million for answering. It actually made me smile,
>where smiles are rare for me lately. I had a million tests for stones,
>actually

You're welcome, that's what we're all here for to brighten one another's day and act as sounding boards.

>I just returned home to New York from Pennsylvania today. I was hoping
>for stones.

This made me smile actually. When the pain continued, under my right rib long after the stones and stent were removed, I had many ultrasounds, more IVP's and even a couple of exploratory surgeries and I never thought I would see the day when I would wish for kidney stones. That way the pain could be explained but when no stones were found it drove me crazy because you then realize there is something else wrong. Funnily, enough I don't get this pain as often now thank goodness so whatever it was settled down.

>To answer your question about scar tissue on ureters -YES- they can grow
>there too. I had that removed on my last surgery and the dreaded stent
>was placed in one of the ureters- UGH, I hated that stent too.

And the stents are so painful, aren't they? I've been through the ringer with surgeries and constant pain, like we all do here, but man, that stent beat them all out.

>Basically on paper I am a perfect speciman of health. In reality, I am
>in pain 24/7. If I don't have pain medication I cannot even get off the
>couch and I cannot speak. For some reason speaking increases the pain.
>I have found vicodin the best- once there is enough in me- I am good for
>a couple of hours. Percoset, I did not like at all- it gave me heart
>palpatations.

The problem I have with all my painkillers is I have to take Gravol with them and so if I'm driving or have an appointment to attend or whatever I can't take the painkillers.

I've only been on Percocet for about 6 weeks and I'm having a hard time adjusting to it because it's the slow release form. To me, it seems to take longer to dull the pain and I thought once my body got used to it it would help but I'm finding it's not.

I don't know if this is connected to the Percocet or not but since taking it I have had at least three migraines that were so severe I vomited for hours. I don't usually throw up with my migraines (thank goodness because I'm such a baby when it comes to nausea/vomiting - I can take anything but that) no matter how severe they got but now all of a sudden I get three in a row. One night it was so bad I took a sleeping pill to make me sleep the pain away.

>Thank goodness for my husband, because I would not be capable of making
>any decisions or any doctor appointments. He researches until he makes
>everyone in this house crazy. He puts up with a lot, I just feel so bad
>for him, because he worries so much, I just wish that I can have my life
>back so we can get on with ours.

I can relate to this. My family have been real troupers they have been through so much with me but are always there no matter what. When I had my knee replacement, in 1996 at the age of 36, I was flat on my back for 8 months in a machine that would bend my leg for me and my family did everything they could.

My family doctor is the best! He is so patient with me, he doesn't make me feel like an idiot when I ask so many questions or suggest that maybe we should try a different angle to pinpoint what could be wrong with me and he always discusses the ins and outs of any medication he gives me or procedures he sends me for.

>Have you ever heard of this dr. harry Reesh (probably spelled wrong)?
>He is in Pennsylvania. We do have an appointment with him on the 8th. I
>wonder after today, when the surgeon said the surgery is too risky. Do
>you think this Dr Reesh can perfom miracles? I am not quite sure. My
>medication is wearing off, so I must go and ly down AGAIN. It was
>really nice talking to you.

I live in Ontario, Canada and so, no, I am not familiar with Dr. Reesh and because of this I can't comment on his skills, sorry.

It was good chatting to you to, Irene. Keep your chin up we're here if you need us.

Take care

--
Jayne
Ontario, Canada

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: