Re: Amitriptyline

Mon Mar 24 09:48:19 2003

Amitriptyline is an old antidepressant that is used mostly these days for pts with chronic pain, to help them sleep at night. The reason it is chosen is that it has a side effect of sedation. There are other side effects that some people find troublesome, such as dry mouth and constipation. I was taking up to 50 mg. before I went to Germany for my surgery, now I am down to 25 mg, and I want to get down to 20 and stay there. I still have pain of other sorts (not adhesion pain), my other pain is from degenertaive disk disease (in the neck) and arthritis. If you need an antidepressant, there are many newer ones that are much more effective for depression, such as celexa, paxil, effexor, zoloft, and of course zoloft. Each has possible side effects, you need to start with the one your doctor thinks matches your symptoms best, and then switch to another one if the side effects are too uncomfortable. I myself have been on celexa for six months and will continue, because a couple days ago, I decided to quit hormone replacement cold turkey, on the urging of my physician regarding the latest research that hormonereplacement does not prevent cardiovascular etc., problmes, IT INSTEAD HAS A HIGH RISK OF CAUSING STROKE, HEART ATTACK, AND PULMONARY EMBOLUS. So anyway, with adhesions, lots of people are on aytriptelene, but you need to vigilantly drink 8 glasses of water a day and do whatever else works for you if you experience constipation as a side effect. Write me personnally at my e-mail if you have any more questions. mary lou

--
mary lou

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: