Reply to: DEEP VENOUS THROMBOSIS Acute extremity swelling? Dr.Lyn

Fri Dec 20 21:04:37 2002

--Boundary_(ID_kzNkYigvLty94E2ui3Mb+g) Content-type: multipart/alternative; boundary="Boundary_(ID_uqihLzMwlC6Kx9GVeJnH1g)"

--Boundary_(ID_uqihLzMwlC6Kx9GVeJnH1g) Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

Hello Ladies, I have had swelling of both calf, first left for 2-3 weeks off and on, now right leg. I have pain in both legs, that does not resemble the leg pain of sciatica. Never had swelling with sciatica. I have express my concern to surgeon and pain mngt doctors, replied not to worry ( one thing at a time). Do you have any info on the subject for me? I saw this articles: It is a large page, I could not attach!

Dr. Lyn Los Angeles

> ----- Original Message -----
From: linda garcia To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 8:40 AM Subject: Re: Acute extremity swelling? for Dr.Lyn FYI.....

SAGES POSITION STATEMENT GLOBAL STATEMENT ON DEEP VENOUS THROMBOSIS PROPHLAXIS DURING LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY Send this file via email: Check this box to subscribe to our free newsletter

Deep Venous Thrombosis (DVT) with subsequent pulmonary embolism is a significant problem for surgical patients. Risk factors for the development of DVT include a history of previous DVT, carcinoma, age greater than 40 years, obesity, and pelvic or orthopedic surgery.1 Recommendations for DVT prophlaxis following open surgical procedures are currently in place.1,2,3 To date, however, DVT following laparoscopic procedures has only been addressed in case reports and preliminary studies.4,5,6,7 No randomized data are available to support specific recommendations for patients undergoing laparoscopic procedures. Until adequate data become available, the recommendations for open surgical procedures should be followed when the same procedures are accomplished via laparoscopic access.1,2 SAGES encourages ongoing examination of this question because of its obvious clinical and economic significance.

References: 1.. Clagett GP, Anderson FA, et al. "Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism." Chest 108:3125-45, 1995. 2.. Collins R, Scringeone A, et al. "Reduction in Fatal Pulmonary Embolism and Venous, Thrombosis by Perioperative Administration of Subcutaneous Heparin." NEJM 318:1162-70, 1988. 3.. Anderson FA, Wheeler HB. "Venous Thromboembolism." Clinics in Chest Medicine 16:235-251, 1995. 4.. Jorgensen JO, Lalak NJ, North L, Hanel K, Hunt DR, Morris DL. "Venous Stasis During Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy." Surg. Laparosc. Endosc. 4(2):128-33; 1994. 5.. Beebe DS, McNevin MP, Crain JM, Letourneau JG, Belani KG, Abrams JA, Goodale RL. "Evidence of Venous Stasis After Abdominal Insufflation for Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy." Surg. Gyn. Obstet.176(5):443-7; 1993 6.. Patel M, Hardman DTA, Nicholls D, Fisher CM, Appleberg M. "The Incidence of Deep Venous Thrombosis After Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy." MJA - 164:652-656; 1996 7.. Lord RV, Ling JJ, Hugh TB, Coleman MJ, Doust BD, Nivison-Smith I. Department of Surgery, St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney, Australia. "Incidence of Deep Vein Thrombosis After Laparoscopic vs Minilaparotomy Cholecystectomy," 1:Arch Surg 1998 Sep; 133(9):967-73 This statement was approved by the Board of Governors of the Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES), March 2002. It was originally prepared by the SAGES Committee on Standards of Practice, April 1998.

Request for reprints should be sent to:

Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons 2716 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 3000 Santa Monica, CA 90405 Ph: (310) 314-2404 FAX: (310) 314-2585 Web page: http://www.sages.org E-mail: sagesweb@sages.org

This SAGES position statement was originally printed in 08/98

© 1996-2002 SAGES v3.0 Top . Home . Site Map . Search . Join SAGES . Annual Meeting . Publications

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!?

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
--Boundary_(ID_uqihLzMwlC6Kx9GVeJnH1g)
Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

Hello Ladies,
    I have had swelling of both calf, first left for 2-3 weeks off and on, now right leg. I have pain in  both legs, that does not resemble the leg pain of sciatica. Never had swelling with sciatica.
    I have express my concern to surgeon and pain mngt doctors, replied not to worry ( one thing at a time).
    Do you have any info on the subject for me? I saw this articles:     It is a large page, I could not attach! 

Dr. Lyn
Los Angeles
>
----- Original Message -----
To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 8:40 AM
Subject: Re: Acute extremity swelling? for Dr.Lyn
FYI.....

SAGES POSITION STATEMENT

GLOBAL STATEMENT ON DEEP VENOUS THROMBOSIS PROPHLAXIS DURING LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY

Send this file via email:
Check this box to subscribe to our free newsletter

Deep Venous Thrombosis (DVT) with subsequent pulmonary embolism is a significant problem for surgical patients. Risk factors for the development of DVT include a history of previous DVT, carcinoma, age greater than 40 years, obesity, and pelvic or orthopedic surgery.1 Recommendations for DVT prophlaxis following open surgical procedures are currently in place.1,2,3 To date, however, DVT following laparoscopic procedures has only been addressed in case reports and preliminary studies.4,5,6,7 No randomized data are available to support specific recommendations for patients undergoing laparoscopic procedures. Until adequate data become available, the recommendations for open surgical procedures should be followed when the same procedures are accomplished via laparoscopic access.1,2 SAGES encourages ongoing examination of this question because of its obvious clinical and economic significance.

References:

1. Clagett GP, Anderson FA, et al. "Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism." Chest 108:3125-45, 1995.
  2. Collins R, Scringeone A, et al. "Reduction in Fatal Pulmonary Embolism and Venous, Thrombosis by Perioperative Administration of Subcutaneous Heparin." NEJM 318:1162-70, 1988.
  3. Anderson FA, Wheeler HB. "Venous Thromboembolism." Clinics in Chest Medicine 16:235-251, 1995.
  4. Jorgensen JO, Lalak NJ, North L, Hanel K, Hunt DR, Morris DL. "Venous Stasis During Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy." Surg. Laparosc. Endosc. 4(2):128-33; 1994.
  5. Beebe DS, McNevin MP, Crain JM, Letourneau JG, Belani KG, Abrams JA, Goodale RL. "Evidence of Venous Stasis After Abdominal Insufflation for Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy.” Surg. Gyn. Obstet.176(5):443-7; 1993
  6. Patel M, Hardman DTA, Nicholls D, Fisher CM, Appleberg M. “The Incidence of Deep Venous Thrombosis After Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy.” MJA - 164:652-656; 1996
  7. Lord RV, Ling JJ, Hugh TB, Coleman MJ, Doust BD, Nivison-Smith I. Department of Surgery, St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney, Australia. “Incidence of Deep Vein Thrombosis After Laparoscopic vs Minilaparotomy Cholecystectomy,” 1:Arch Surg 1998 Sep; 133(9):967-73

This statement was approved by the Board of Governors of the Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES), March 2002. It was originally prepared by the SAGES Committee on Standards of Practice, April 1998.

Request for reprints should be sent to:

Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
2716 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 3000
Santa Monica, CA 90405
Ph: (310) 314-2404
FAX: (310) 314-2585
Web page: http://www.sages.org
E-mail:
sagesweb@sages.org

This SAGES position statement was originally printed in 08/98

© 1996-2002 SAGES

v3.0
TopHomeSite MapSearchJoin SAGESAnnual MeetingPublications

Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo!
--Boundary_(ID_uqihLzMwlC6Kx9GVeJnH1g)-- --Boundary_(ID_kzNkYigvLty94E2ui3Mb+g) Content-type: image/gif; name=spacer.gif Content-transfer-encoding: base64 Content-disposition: attachment; filename=spacer.gif Content-Location: http://www.sages.org/images/spacer.gif R0lGODlhAQABAIAAAP///wAAACH5BAEUAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw== --Boundary_(ID_kzNkYigvLty94E2ui3Mb+g)--

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: