Re: ply to: DEEP VENOUS THROMBOSIS Acute extremity swelling? Dr.Lyn

Sat Dec 21 02:37:06 2002

If you are concerned about your veins and/or arteries you should demand or take it on yourself to see a vascular doctor! They are the ones who can really do extensive tests to check things out for you.

I have a calcified artery (PVD) that doctors ignored for about 20 years. It was discovered accidentally on a kidney xray. My family doctor at the timem and others since then, were made aware of it but no-one ever acted like it was a concern or even checked on it so eventually I just gave up trying. I was never told anything to do or not to do due to the problem, just acted like it wasn't anything to worry about. Then on top of that when I had my last abdominal tests done it was on the reports again. That general surgeon also ignored it!!

Due to this site and now knowing I have a right to my medical reports "I" was the one who saw it but the doctor never even mentioned it, just as others had done in the past. "I" brought it to his attention after waiting unbtikl my appointment was over to see if he woukld mention it. He did then ask me if I wanted to see a vascular doctor and I said yes but if I had not brought this up it would have been brushed under the rug again!!!

Well, I went to the vascular surgeon and he did extensive tests (Doppler tests and an Angiogram). which also revealed I have blocked veins in each of my legs from knees down! Now after all these years it is something very major (by vascular doctor anyway) and I have been told I could very well be facing amputation in my future!!!....and that was nothing to be concerned about!

My father-in-law also had an embolism which his family doctors didn't treat properly, and also never sent him to a vascular surgeon, and he eventually died from it. I still think they could have helped him. His leg was rock hard swollen and he had pain, mine isn't hard. I have pain and they swell, get ice cold and numb, especially the leg that the calcified artery leads to (it is calcified in the abdomen area).

I never knew what kind of doctor to for help and neither did my father-in-law. Early prevention may have also helped him.

I'm not saying this is your problem and don't mean to upset you but it doesn't hurt to be safe and get it checked yourself. YOU have to take care of yourself, don't count on others to do it if you know or have strong feelings something is wrong. You could prevent more major problems in the future, or if nothing is wrong at least have peace of mind by going to the right doctor who specializes in these things.

Mine isn't a blood clot but either way it affects your veins and arteries. In fact a blood clot can be treated, but is also very serious. Calcified arteries are already past that point because they are already hard, can't be broke up or dissolved and stents can't be used.

JEAN

--
Jean (from PA)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: