To Shanna from Jo

Fri May 3 04:40:05 2002

Hi Shanna,

I am sorry if I have caused confusion or concern for you I am sorry, my intention here on the board is always to help, drawing on my own personal expriences. I have scrolled back through the messages to see if I could find what it is you are referring to.

If you are worried about the possibility of adhesions returning, then the short answer is yes, they can return. There are many reasons why this can happen and that is why laparoscopic surgery is promoted so heavily as the best way of dealing with adhesions.

An open inscision exposes organs to the open air, drying them out, foreign objects such as sponges, blood and surgical instruments, gloves with powder have all been documented as being possible causes of re-occurring adhesions.

There are several points of view on this board, some are convinced that adhesion barriers are the answer, others, like myself aren't completely convinced of their effectiveness at this time. Please remember this is my PERSONAL opinion and I have made my choices after loads of research and seeking opinions of many doctors.

Just two weeks ago I underwent a laperascopic procedure - five and a half hours to remove adhesions from the top of my abdominal wall from my ribs down into the lower pelvic floor area, from my bladder and micromillimetres from my bowel. It was looped around my vagina and pushing into my bladder also. I was adament that I would not have further surgery and that pain control was the path I would choose.

After spending weeks in hospital with my health seriously deteriorating, the descision was made that surgery was the next step. We were all shocked, not expecting to find the mess that was inside my body. Other surgeons had assured me that a laperascopic procedure was impossible, my adhesions too severe and that it would put my life in danger to choose that path. What you need is a really exerienced laperascopic surgeon.

If I had listened to the doctors who care for me earlier... I may have not been in quite the mess I am in now. As it stands they had to stop the surgery because the left side of my pelvic floor & cul-de-sac is "cement city" to quote one of my surgeons. He estimates that we are looking at at least another three and a half hours of surgery to finish the work they have started. My body however was showing signs that I had had enough and the decision to finish was made.

The sad part is that just one hour after my release from hospital I was involved in a car accident and taken to hospital listed as critical. Thankfully things settled down and all I can do now is pray that I haven't sustained too much damage from the impact of the seatbelt on my wound and abdomen.

Shanna, my best advise to you is to follow your instincts, do lots of research, never be afraid to ask a question, and if I have misunderstood your comments....my apologies, I assure you, my heart and soul is dedicated to helping other adhesions sufferers find the right path for them. Whatever decisions you make, we will respect them and support you all the way.

If you have other questions, or would like to contact me personally, please email me: joanne@bombobeach.com and tomorrow (Saturday Aussie time) Friday evening USA time I will be in our new chatroom at http://www.bombobeach.com just click on the beach club link on the side menu bar and follow the prompts, once you have registered, you will have the opportunity to talk to me, and hopefully other adhesions sufferers. It may be the place to clarify the confusion or find the answers to the questions that are burning within you.

Yours in friendship

--
Love and gentle hugs,
Joanne Eslick
Founder Australian Adhesions Support Group
http://www.bombobeach.com
Australian Co-ordinator of
International Adhesions Society
http://www.adhesions.org

--
I am not a medical person, and all my messages are based
on personal experience.  I am a fellow adhesions sufferer