Re: stories/Dawn/Sally

Sat Mar 23 12:35:34 2002

Dear Dawn, I've told this story before, but here goes. I've known my family doctor for twenty some years. He knows I'm a respectable business owner, treasurer of the church, developer of low income housing for the elderly and etc, etc, I had been having pain after a hysterectomy. My gynocologist who convinced me to have the operation because I had a massive fibroid tumor (it was kind of big) dropped me after twenty years. I went to his office in pain weeks and weeks after the operation because the pain was getting worse and worse.

The gynecologist then told me that I probably had adhesions which were incurable and he could not do anything about them and he would not help me with my pain because he did not want me to become a drug addict. He then said that he had done his best by giving me a hysterectomy and he would like me to find another doctor as he did not want me as a patient any longer. If I wanted to come every five years for a vaginal pap smear that would be acceptable.

I was in shock, but the worse was yet to come. I had been thinking all along that I would go to my kindly family doctor of twenty plus years and he would surely understand and give me something for pain. I went to his office and was in so much pain I went into the ladies room and cried. When I came back out, I went into his office and explained that I had so much pain I was contemplating doing away with myself. Big mistake. He would not give me pain pills either. He wanted to call the police and have me "put away" somewhere where I wouldn't hurt myself. I was done in. He actually was going to call the police and have me "committed" because I was in pain. He said that any medications containing opiates would turn me into an addict practically overnight. It sounded like I would become a werewolf with hairy feet and a fate worse than death. Well, I backtracked and said, of course, I was exaggerating, I certainly would never kill myself and of course I didn't want to become a socially unacceptable druggie. I called a friend who was a counselor from his office and arranged to go straight to her office to keep the police away.

Can you believe that? Here I am in agony from adhesions massive and many, all pulling my organs in different directions. My bladder was being pulled into my liver, my intestines were attached to the opposite wall, my liver was also being pulled into my diaphragm, this massive column 12 inches in diameter and approximately nine inches long had formed in my abdomen connecting my old pubic hysterectomy scar with my liver and intestines. It was filled with tissue, blood veins, and nerves. My abdomen was so filled with adhesions that when I finally found a doctor to do a laproscopic surgery there were so many he only got the major ones, and cut my bladder to boot because he couldn't see. At least he was nice, so I don't hold that against him.

But the first gynocologist I am still mad at, he ruined me for years if not for life and he takes no responsibility. Instead he "puts me down" and insults me. My family doctor has since apologized. He really didn't have a clue. He thought I was "going through some woman thing" and he feared I was strong willed enough to actually take my life. Never threaten that, it only gets you in trouble. But he should have given me pain pills. I asked him - didn't he believe I was in agony, and he said yes, but agony was a lesser evil than pain pills.

I've since had three laproscopic surgeries and a laporotomy because the adhesions were too massive to be done by the scope (I did not want another big cut, but it was done while I was under). My last surgery was in Penn. with Dr. Reich and he made me feel like he could fix me and he cared. I wanted to kiss his feet. However, the adhesions still came back. He had done a wonderful job, I have the video tape. He took out every last adhesion and cleaned up bueatifully. He was gentle and understanding, but I'm still in pain.

I only pray my present doctor will remain understanding and provide me the relief I am now getting from oxycontin. With kindest regards, Sally Grigg

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: