Info on bowel obstructions...

Thu Feb 28 20:21:49 2002

I am so sorry there are so many of us suffering this horrible complication of adhesions. I have been fighting what I believe is a partial obstruction for several days myself. I have experienced an acute bowel obstruction and several partial obstructions. I am very lucky that my primary care physician will put me in the hospital when I have a severe flare up and medicate me and give me iv fluids. For several days I have had severe pain and tenderness on my left side, I had a doctors appt. and he told me it was adhesions on the small bowel.(I don't have any other organs left!) I have some nausea, loss of appetite, and cramping abdominal pain. I feel as though my intestine is kinked or twisted. Today I coughed and had a pain go through that side that felt as if I had been stabbed with a knife. I did get nervous at that point, but it passed. I have basically stopped eating solid food, I feel really full and uncomfortable under my ribcage and lets just say my bowels aren't working. I had the acute bowel obstruction with vomiting a day after I had a TAH, lysis of intestinal adhesions and appendectomy. I had the NG tube and the obstruction resolved itself. The small bowel can be obstructed for a number of reasons. The most common is previous surgery. The adhesions can be so severe that as they form, the bowel is completely blocked. The other two are entrapment in hernias, usually inguinal hernias, and cancer. If you are having symptoms, you need answers, ask for an abdominal x-ray. If you develop a fever go immediately to the ER. Gather as much info as you can and don't give up. You have to take charge of your health, nobody knows your body better than you do. I pray you all find the strength to battle the enemy. In Friendship, Sherry

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: