Re: First adhesion experience

Sat Feb 16 16:16:07 2002

Hi Steph:

The answer to your question is: it depends on the individual. I had my first surgical procedure at 3-1/2 years, which was the start of my adhesion problems. I also never realized what was causing the extremely painful periods, etc., that I experienced all my life, and it wasn't until 1998 (the original surgery was in 1962) that I started having serious chronic pain problems. Then it took me almost 2 years to get a diagnostic lap to find out what was causing the problem.

I should tell you I've been one of the lucky ones. I gave birth to a healthy daughter after a very normal pregnancy 21 years ago. I have never had endo or any of the other problems that a lot of the people here on the board have had. I believe the reason for this was found in the diagnostic lap - the only adhesions affecting the tubes, ovaries, and uterus were the minor ones resulting from the tubal ligation I had in 1989. The major part of the adhesions involve the bowel and intestines, and result from the appendectomy in 1962, which was a horror story all by itself. These are the ones that are causing the problems now, and my theory is that these ones were aggravated by my employment between 1997 and 2001 - I was driving taxi 12 to 18 hours a day, wearing a seatbelt all the time. I have since had to quit work due to the intensity of the pain.

Welcome to the site Steph. You will find lots of love and support here, and any questions you may have will be answered by each of us based on our individual experiences. Some things work for some but don't for others. Please remember, that we are answering from our own experiences, we are not medically trained.

Hugs,

nancy in NB

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: