Re: Neurontin

Wed Jan 30 10:52:44 2002

Mary Ann,

I have been on Neurontin for years for a spastic artery in my right temple that causes migraines. When I was diagnosed with ARD and fibromyalgia, they increased my dosage because it can help muscle spasm and other painful weird body aches. I take 1900 mg. a day, most at night with elavill to help me sleep.

It took about a week for the side effects to go away...the kind of loopy feeling and dry mouth. We have tried lowering the dosage, but my migraines and fibro pain increase. (I will take a 6/10 over a 9/10 pain measurement any day...I have other meds for the rest of the pain)

Everyone is different and I think neurontin has become a favorite drug for fibromyalgia since it is an anti-spasmodic, maybe that's why some doctors want to try it for ARD symptoms, too.

Rose

At Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Mary-Ann Karaganis wrote: >
>Hey, Gang.
>
>Quick question about a new drug my gastro wants me to try: neurontin. He had me on Elavil and Klonopin, which I had to stop. (The Elavil depressed me to levels I didn't know were possible, and the Klonopin made me tired without relieving any of the pain.) I mentioned that I had contacted a Pain Management Clinic and he warned me of most clinics love of narcotics and the added problems that come with that. He really wants me to try this new med, first, and possibly a few other neuro-blockers before turning to the Pain Clinic.
>
>I'm confused, to be honest. I've been on various pain and anti-inflammatory meds for over 16 years. (I'm 32.) The past five years have been the worst, and I spent a good portion of my three boys' toddler years drugged out of my mind. I don't want to lose their school years, nor my daughter's toddler years. I've been able to get through the days (barely)using just Ibuprofen, but at night I'm still popping the percodan. I can only do that if another adult is in the house, though, as the drugs make me incomprehensible and if the kids wake up I can't help them. I'm separated from my husband, and he rarely helps out in this regard now. Luckily, I have a friend staying with me for a few days.
>
>My point is, I don't WANT to go on narcotics. They make me loopy and a little out of my mind. At the same time, I don't think the Neurontin will help, either. The doc says to give them a shot and see, but every time he does that it costs me $25/med. I can't keep buying these drugs only to throw them away after taking one or two because they don't help.
>
>Help. Has anyone tried this? Does it help with ADHESIONS? (I can't get it through my doctor's head that it's a different kind of pain than a cut or a ruptured appendix.) Any input is appreciated.
>
>Mary-Ann

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: