Re: Cindy & Karla- central lines

Mon Nov 26 13:50:16 2001

It is a dangerous procedure. When I have them done in Milwaukee they take me to ICU to do it...and they always do a chest xray following it. Here in my local hospital one doctor does it right in the room...but he is the best when it comes to doing it....very little pain at all. I had one done once in Milwaukee where my surgeon was teaching residents how to do it. The resident hit an artery instead of a vein. The blood came blasting out shooting up into my ear and all over. I was so scared. It definitely had the surgeon going too.

--
Karla

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Jean Long" <creative@enter.net> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 1:20 PM Subject: Cindy & Karla- central lines

> This is also like a surgery in itself! > When I had it done I was put in an operating room and he had to observe what > he was doing on a monitor so as to get it in properly. It took quite awhile > to do it and they have to be very precise in doing it. > > I also was also told if air got in it could kill you since it would go > straight to your heart. > At the nursing home they were always afraid of this happening. > I had a few real scares while I had it in when they thought they would have > to rush me to the hospital because they couldn't get a blood return. > The one time it was sooo close they had me crying I was that scared! > They called in several experts before making a final decision on sending me > to the hospital and finally one of them got a blood return. > > JEAN > > "Birthdays are good for you: the more you have the longer you live" > > -----Original Message----- > From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org]On Behalf > Of Karla > Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 5:18 PM > To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS > Subject: Re: Cindy- Thanks colonoscopies/central lines > > Jean, > > Not to mention the costs. I just got the bill from my last central line and > it was in excess of $600. I really wonder...not to shoot you down or > anything Cindy...but I really would be concerned with whether insurance will > cover those costs for a colonoscopy...particularly if it is not an > emergency. > > Karla >

>> ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Jean Long" <creative@enter.net> > To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" > <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> > Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 3:45 PM > Subject: Cindy- Thanks colonoscopies/central lines > > > Cindy, > > I understand the veins collapsing thing since I also have that problem. > > Last time they tried to get blood it took 4 visits to them and they never > > were successful so I just gave up. They can't even get it from my hands > > anymore and I don't think I like the idea of the toes. > > > > I still don't understand the central line for a Colonoscopy though since > it > > is only a test. > > If I went through it with nothing at all you would think you could get a > > shot for pain which doesn't go into any veins. > > > > I can see Central Lines for long-term things like 6 weeks of antibiotics > or > > surgery, but for a test I still don't understand. > > Like I said before I don't know anyone who got that much medication for > the > > short period of time it takes for a test which would make them put a > central > > line in for a colonoscopy or similar test, when it actually can be done > > without any medication at all. Maybe not the preferred way for the comfort > > of the patient but definitely can be done. > > Gosh, it would take as long to put the central line in as it does to do > the > > test, not to mention the risks involved. I know my doctors wouldn't do > that. > > > > JEAN > > > > "Birthdays are good for you: the more you have the longer you live" > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org]On Behalf > > Of Cindy > > Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 1:29 PM > > To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS > > Subject: Thanks colonoscopies/central lines > > > > Thanks to everyone who replied. The reason I will have a central > > line is that I have no veins. They can't even get a butterfly > > needle in without blowing the small vein. Of course every nurse > > I come across always thinks shes the best and can get a vein, but > > they never can. I needed only enough blood for a thyroid test. > > She poked me four times w/butterfly needles and still couldn't > > get enough for the test. A central line is the only way for me > > thats why I don't want to take a test that may not show any thing. > > > > Thanks everyone > > Hugs > > Cindy > > >

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: