Re: laparoscopy or laparotomy????

Mon Apr 2 22:41:01 2001

I guess it is a toss up.......you never know with adhesions. They have a mind of their own. Definitely first surgeries on your abdomen if done laproscopically will greatly reduce the chances of getting adhesions. After multiple surgeries there is debate. I never had laproscopic procedures before. All of my surgeries were laparotomies (7 abdominal) and with my 4 adhesion surgeries I lasted 3yrs., 1 yr., 3yrs. and 12 yrs. this last time. I here of people lasting fairly long with laproscopy but I also see people only last months with it.....same with laparotomy. I think it is a half dozen of one and a half dozen of another.

I might be having my adhesions removed laproscopically for the first time May 2 (if possible after all my surgeries) so I will have to see. JEAN

"A true friend walks in when the rest of the world walks out."

>----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Murray" <mkmurray@cyberport.com> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 5:33 PM Subject: Re: laparoscopy or laparotomy????

Kelly, The last surgery I had was a "Laparotomy" where I was opened, (bikini cut) and look where I am now. Kel

Kelly Doucet wrote:

> I keep having all these doubts about my upcoming surgery, and to add to
> them is my mother in law who said she spoke with a DR and they said the
> best way to permantly remove adhesions was to open you up. Now I have
> had numerous Drs tell me the opposite, but, seeing as I have had 5
> laparoscipies (sp?)
> and still pain, I have to wonder....
> The only time I hade a lengthy pain free period was after abdominal
> surgery.
> Any opinions? Advice?
> Thanks
> KellyD