Hysterectomy and Adhesions....for Karen M.

Sat Jan 13 10:50:43 2001

Dear Karen,

Kate Murphy said that a colectomy is "serious stuff." I would take her word for it; because Kate has posted many times; and from the content of her message, she is very knowledgeable about medical information.

Any surgery can cause adhesions -- and unfortunately, so can a hysterectomy!! A hysterectomy can also cause pelvic organs to become displaced. This means that following a hysterectomy, pelvic organs will "drop down" into the space, where the uterus was previously.

There is only one test which will diagnose adhesions -- A DIAGNOSTIC LAPAROSCOPY!! After suffering from chronic pain for 27 years, I was offered a diagnostic laparoscopy for the very first time in 1997. My diagnosis was massive adhesions attaching my omentum to my abdominal wall!!

When doctors/surgeons are in complete control as to what diagnostic tests and what surgical procedures they will do, the patient can become a victim. Previous to 1997 I had far too much blood drawn and far too many X-rays taken!!!!!!! One doctor told me that I had "more than a wagon-load of X-ray film!!" That is alot of unnecessary and dangerous X-ray exposure!!!

Did your doctor/surgeon explain to you what a colectomy involves? If not -- and maybe even so -- it would be in your best interests to get a second opinion ( and maybe even a third opinion ) AND start doing your own research on the subject of "colectomy." This is a surgical procedure too; and as I said before, surgery is one of the causes of adhesions!!

By taking whatever time is necessary to do research on "adhesions" -- and for you, Karen: "colectomy" -- you will begin to have some control over your situation. You will gain knowledge about adhesions and about a colectomy. This knowledge will help you to not only be able to talk with your medical professional more intelligently about this surgical procedure -- but you will also be able to find out if you have any other less-invasive options. As a result of your research and as a result of a second opinion, you may discover that you do not need a colectomy!!

When I had my diagnostic laparoscopy on August 01, 1997, I did NOT know that that my surgeon could have used an adhesion barrier!! I didn't even know they existed -- not until I discovered Dr. Wiseman's website, SYNECHION, at the following Url:

http://members.aol.com/synechion/ .

Finally, I want to tell you to choose your surgeon very carefully. A laparoscopic precedure is preferred over a laparotomy; because it is less invasive...minimizing the development of new adhesions ( de nova adhesions ) and the re-formation of the adhesions lysed by the surgeon during the procedure. Every surgery for adhesions is a very difficult procedure!! Most surgeons know this; and they are very reluctant to perform this kind of surgery...unless their patient is having a serious bowel obstruction!!

The best surgeon for adhesiolysis procedures must possess the virtue of patience -- because the most successful adhesiolysis procedures generally take several hours. It is very important that he/she uses a very gentle technique when lysing adhesions; because any unnecessary trauma to any of the abdominal organs can cause further adhesion development. Most importantly, the surgeon must be meticulous in his/her clean-up during and at the conclusion of the procedure!! This is the most important part of the surgical procedure; because any blood left in the abdominal/pelvic cavity can cause adhesions!!!

Just because a surgeon is a surgeon does not mean that he/she is the best surgeon for your particular problem. There are only three surgeons in the world, to the best of my knowledge, who specialize in difficult adhesiolysis procedures...Dr. Harry Reich, Dr. Jay Redan, and Dr. Matthias Korell. There is alot of information stored in the International Adhesions Society ARCHIVES. You can access this information easily by scrolling down to January 3rd ( on this webpage ) and click on:

The ARCHIVES of the International Adhesions Society...How to search for information...

--
Helen Dynda

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: