Re: Hysterectomy and Adhesions....for Karen M.

Sun Jan 14 08:38:41 2001

<FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param><bigger>On 13 Jan 2001, at 11:53, Helen Dynda wrote:

<FontFamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Dear Karen,<FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param><bigger>

<FontFamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Kate Murphy said that a colectomy is "serious stuff." I would take her word for it; because Kate has posted many times; and from the content of her message, she is very knowledgeable about medical information.

I assumed that Karen's doctor was talking about total colectomy which is the removal of the entire colon. This involves either making an opening in the abdomen for feces -- a colostomy -- or, if possible, creating an interior pouch if parts large intestine can be saved.

I have had two "hemi" or partial colectomies for cancer which haven't affected my bowel functioning nor required a colostomy. I have had lots of adhesions after the surgery which has led to this "not fatal but pretty uncomfortable" situation.

Again, I urge a second opinion on the best way to manage this situation along with the very best colo-rectal surgeon you can find. Be sure to ask about his or her experience and an honest opinion about the outcome.

Also, if you decide to go ahead with a total colectomy that will involve an ostomy (opening) insist on a pre-surgery consultation with an ostomy nurse. They can tell your surgeon the best placement for the opening to avoid difficulties later.

Kate

<nofill>

--
Kate Murphy
katemm@mindspring.com

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: