Re: "Women and Doctors"......&......Alternatives to Hysterectomy

Wed May 24 10:10:37 2000

>"After twenty-four years of medical education and clinical gynecological
experience, it >is my experience, it is my opinion that males should not be gynecologists. The role >properly belongs to women. Not only are they the only sex truly able to understand, >empathize with, and appropriately relate to women in the already difficult doctor->patient relationship, but isn't it true that, given a choice, almost every woman would >prefer to see a woman gynecologist? Women gynecologists might still act like other >doctors in the areas that relate to income generation, but I believe they are incapable >of inflicting the level of harm to other women that is now inflicted by
males."

I have not personally seen a woman gynecologist, but have heard just as many horror stories of women who did not understand either, especially if they've never had a day of pain in their life. I did have my female family doctor do my annual "female" exams for a few years and she did not take me seriously when I complained about the pain and didn't even refer me to a gyn when her exams had me screaming with pain. In contrast, all the male gyns I have gone to have been much more considerate and have gone out of their way to try and help (except one whom I only went to once for a second opinion and he was recommended by a retired female gyn.) if not always as knowledgable or experienced with endo as I would have liked. No, they're not perfect. But neither is having a woman any guarantee either. And that's my two cents worth.

Sue Ann

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: