Question on adhesions

Thu Oct 21 10:05:42 1999

I am new here, though by all rights I should have been here 18 years ago because that's when my adventure with adhesions began. Only I didn't know it (and docs didn't dx it) til I had surgery 8/12/99. Now I am known as "adhesion prone". Yippeeee! (BTW, I have a weird sense of humor, better to laugh than cry most days).

Anyway, it wasn't til after my 2nd surgery (9/15/99) that I researched adhesions and found out it was possible to prevent them with exercise immediately after surgery, or with barriers, etc. No one told me--even though they knew I was adhesion prone. So I laid flat for 2 weeks solid "resting", hardly ever moving because I was told not to "over-do" it, etc. Now I find out it was the worst thing I could have done! It "set" my new adhesions permanently doing that, I think?

Anyway I am getting tired of everyone (friends & family) telling me the best thing for adhesions is exercise. Sure in the beginning that might be true to keep them from attaching. But at 5 weeks post-op, when they have already started to harden and be permanently attached, most exercise hurts!!! ALOT! I can walk for a short time comfortably, but any bending, twisting, tummy and lower back area stuff is excruciating.

Are they right? Should I be trying to exercise through the pain to detach them? Are my new adhesions permanent at 5 weeks, and hard? Is there anything I can do besides surgery and pills, to get rid of the pain and the adhesions at 5 weeks post-op?

My doc who did the surgery told me that yes I do have new adhesions again in pelvic area, and I will just have to live with chronic pain. He told me that at 2 & 1/2 weeks post-op! He gave up. He said no one will operate to remove adhesions only, just because it hurts. He also said in my case any surgery to remove adhesions would make more (even laprascopy since that was how these last 2 surgeries were done, and both created new adhesions). I am not ready to accept "chronic pain" when it seems early enough to do SOME thing about them? Thanks, Gina

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: