Re: I'm a newcomer

Fri Oct 8 17:26:39 1999

First, I need to tell you that I am not a medical professional. My comments (within your letter) are based on my personal experience with adhesions and the extensive research I have done.

At Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Deedra Climer wrote:

>I am 32 yo, hx of pid & gallbladder surgery. I was diagnosed with p.a. 4 years >ago when my ob/gyn told me that they are so extensive that my only option is >hysterectomy. One tube and ovary are adhered to my bowel, the other tube >and ovary are "totally obliterated".

**How did your ob/gyn arrive at a diagnosis of pelvic adhesions? Did you have a diagnostic laparoscopy?

>After finding mucous (sp)and blood in my stool and having increased bloating
>and pain, I went to the doctor yesterday and he has blown me off and
>sent me to a gastro. I guess a gastro could be helpful in determining
>if there is any obstruction. I am bummed.

**Your ob/gyn is sending you to a gastroenterologist, because the bowel is not the ob/gyn's surgical specialty. If you are passing blood in your stool, the proper diagnostic tests need to be done to find out what is causing this bleeding. If any of these tests show that you have a bowel problem that can and needs to be corrected, then your gastroenterologist will schedule you for surgery.

>The ob/gyn says that there is a good chance of a colostomy if he tried to >remove the adhesions from my bowels. Doesn't sound like fun to me. Anyone >have any thought on this?

**Your ob/gyn knows the risks (such as accidentally cutting into the bowel) that are very possible when it comes to removing adhesions from the intestines; and he knows that he has not been trained to do surgery on the bowels. He is doing the right thing.

**If special diagnostic tests reveal to the gastroenterologist that surgery is necessary, only then will surgery be warranted. It has been my experience, that surgeons will not attempt surgery on the bowel - unless the person is having a bowel obstruction. There is much more involved than bloating and pain when a person has a bowel obstruction - as many of the forum participants can tell you.

>Has anyone else been told that hysterectomy is the only option?

**A hysterectomy will not relieve you of bloating and pain. This is a surgical procedure and like any surgical procedure, this will only increase the development of adhesions following surgery. This is the way the body heals - by forming adhesions.

**The best medical science has to offer at this time for people who have "extensive adhesions" is pain management.

--
The 15th century proverb which summarizes the purpose of medicine is:
* To cure sometimes, to relieve often, to comfort always. *

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: