Re: Please........Desperately need advice!!!!!

Tue Aug 3 07:18:48 1999

At Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Valerie Gates wrote: >
>Thanks for reading this! I need all the help I can get!! I have been
>very sick again.....the fourth time this summer! My doctor finally took
>me serious enough to recommend some tests and I don't know much about
>them. On Friday I am supposed to have a Sigmoidoscopy? and a Barium
>Enema.......doesn't sound like much fun. The Friday after that I have
>to have an upper GI. If all of these are negative, he wants to schedule
>exploratory surgery. If I have to do that it will be my 9th surgery for
>adhesions. Should I have all those tests first? Will that just be more
>misery for nothing? I feel like I have to do what he says, at least he's
>doing something besides sending me home with antibiotics and pain
>pills!! What about more surgery? Is it worth making this worse to maybe
>get a few months of being better???? I have missed 17 days of work this
>year alone and I'm scared to death that I will lose my job! My boss
>thinks having more surgery is the thing to do, but I am so unsure!
>Please tell me what you think.....and any info you might have about
>these tests!
>
>Thanks
>
>Valerie
>
>--
>Valerie Gates

Hi Valerie, I can't tell you to much about the tests other than the barium.You will have to do a prep for that test which is drinking something to get you cleaned out.I can tell you that whatever they give you to drink is not very pleasant tasting.As for the test,No it is not very pleasant either,THey have to pump air into your colon so that the contrast that they use goes through easier.I had a little problem with that .I broke out in a cold sweat and thought that I was going to pass out.The nurse gave me a cold compress which really helped.When the test was over you then have to try to expell the contrast {Which can be very noisey}ASk if they have a bathroom that has at least some privacy.I was in a bathroom that the other door led out into a hallway that people were walking by,It was very embarresing for me.I went by my self because I did not think the test would be to bad,I should have had someone drive me.On the way home I ahd such gas pains that again I thought I was going to pass out.THey tell you to drink alot of fluid to get rid of the cntrast.It took about 2 hours after I came home before Iwas felling better.My history is. 1. D&C 2/98 2. hysterectomy w/removal of left ovary 4/98 3. infection from hysterectomy which required going to surgey 4/98 4. laporoscopy w/ extensive lysis of adhesions 10/98 5. steroid injections 1 every other week for 4 weeks 2/99 6. laporoscopy with sever lysis of adhesions 4/99 7. cystoscopy to rule out anything urological 7/16/99 8. colonoscopy to rule out anything gasterial 7/29/99 9 today i have to go for a M R I I ahve also had 2 ct scans and at least 3 intravaginal ultrasounds and 2 regular ultrasounds. My gyn was afraid that after the second lap. and having the pain return that he was over looking something. Fortunatlly the last 2 tests have come back negetive so I have been cleared with there being nothing wrong urologically and gasterial. I am seeing a pain management Dr.{which has just been for the past 2 weeks} and at least I am capable of living a somewhat normal life at this point.If nothing shows with the m r i today I guess the conclusion will be that I have adhesions again and probably will the rest of my life.I have an appointment with my gyn on 8/13 and will discuss where we go from here.I hate the thought of having to take pain meds. the rest of my life.I hope that I have helped you some.I know how you feel about not wanting to have another surgery,It is a diffacult dicision{sp} to make and you are the only one that can make it.Good Luck with whatever you decide .this forum is a very supportive place to be.we are here for you. "FRIENDS THAT STICK TOGETHER" PEGGY

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: