Brenda

Mon May 10 15:24:05 1999

Hi!

Maybe you can educate me on bowel obstructions. The only thing I can find is info on the symptoms.

First, does this sound anything like a partial bowel obstruction? On Friday I had a certain type of lower abdominal pain that felt exactly like menstrual pain. (my gyn says most menstrual pain is really bowel pain.) I don't have this type of pain all the time. Then on the Saturday I had a low grade fever which lasted a few hours. On Sunday the "problem area" lower right side was very sore. (I didn't have any bowel adhesions in the mid or upper abdomen, they are all mostly aroudn the sigmoid colon and the small intestinal one was near the terminal ileum. From pictures I see this area could loop down where the sigmoid is and become trapped) On Monday I still had this lower abdominal pain. This is when I ate the grapes at 5pm. Now, they couldn't have been all the way to the terminal ileum (and definitely not to the sigmoid colon) by 9 pm, could they? By 9pm I had major gas, pain around the umbilical area, very loud bowel sounds (I could actually hear explosions, creaking and groaning), the gas built up in waves and when it did, I had a wave of nausea (this scared me because I don't usually get this) This then passed over the next few hours. I hesitated to call the doctor because it did start to lessen and I thought the doctor on call would tell me I either had gas or the flu. I thought maybe the gas which was probably produced by all the excess fiber was what caused the acute problem, rather than the actual grapes which I don't think could have gotten that far along in 4 hours. This is what I'm curious about.

I have read the symptoms of a bowel obstruction can include fever and in the case of a partial, even diarrhea which is unusual because the symptoms of a total obstruction is the inability to pass anything rectally.

For about a week before this acute episode I had very odd twitching feelings in my gut, all on the right side. I also periodically get an odd tightening sensation in what feels like my gut-I'm not sure.

I hope you can share your experience with this problem so I have a better idea what to look for in the future. Thanks.

Chris S.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: