Re: Surgeons

Sun Sep 25 16:01:32 2011

I can't say that I have had them "laugh" at me. I have had them "disregard" or "talk down" to me. I don't care for that in any area of my life, and I especially don't like in in physicians and surgeons. If you choose to purse that career, you have to realize that you are caring for sick, scared people who have little or no knowledge of what's going on in their body or what is going to be done to try and repair it. Health care is a very specialized field and it's my personal opinion that you have to have a special "calling" and be able to develop a rapport with any type of personality.

I had to have an emergency explatory surgery and had an ovary with a cyst removed. I was handed a paper on my discharge and in very small print it said not to strain or pick up heavy objects for 6 weeks. The surgeon never discussed the healing process with me. Well six months later I herniated (the internal stitches tore loose). I had to have a hernia repair and scar repair. While this surgeon did tell me not to pick up anything heavy, use stool softeners, etc., he did NOT ask me before the surgery if it was ok to put mesh on my entire stomach. Nor did he ever explain adhestions caused by repeated surgery.

My stomach has never been the same. It's been five years now and I can still feel the mesh every time I move. Not pain really. but discomfort. I have bowel adhestions causing constipation and I think one must have attached to a lung, because one of my lungs (the one on the side where the surgery was) does not feel like it expands well, and I sometimes get shortness of breath. One doctor said you cannot herniate through the mesh but you can herniate behind it. That's what it feels like to me. Real heavy late in the day and after I eat (lower stomach). It feels like my stomach is trying to push out!

My suggestion is don't have surgery unless they tell that you you will die without it. Discuss in detail everything that they are going to possibly PUT INTO your body, and ask what the long term effects of this surgery will be on your body. I wish I had even known about mesh. I could have looked into the pros and cons and come to an educated decision.

Sorry for the long story. Has anyone suffered something similar?

At Mon, 19 Sep 2011, IAS Admin wrote: >
>From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On
>Behalf Of Carli Davis
>Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 2:51 AM
>To: adhesions-request@adhesions.org
>Subject: Re: Surgeons
>
>fire them
>really. fire them immediately. then...
>print out educational material from the site and take it with you as
>you go interview new drs.
>and dont forget to report your other drs to the medical boards.
>
>on quilt under carli cumberland albright i think.
>im remarried ive been on there sooo long! lol.
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: IAS Admin <tracy.joslin@adhesions.org>
>To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS
><adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com>
>Sent: Sun, Sep 11, 2011 9:14 pm
>Subject: Surgeons
>Sender: piranalu@aol.com (Kim Anderson)
>
>Subject: Surgeons
>
>My history- started with endometriosis in my teens, and 20s -causing
>
>infertility.
>
>Now in the last 2 years I have had 2 bowel surgeries due to
>obstructions
>
>from diverticulitis.The last surgery- the colon-rectal surgeon took an
>
>extra 3 hours to do lysis of adhesions, just to be able to get to colon
>
>do the surgery. Of course I have have chronic pain also- mostly
>
>pelvic-groin.. that has just basically put my usual activities on hold.
>
>Now I have a large abdominal incisional hernia..., and several smaller
>
>hernias below the big one.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: