video showing surgery using sprayshield

Wed Mar 11 12:57:57 2009

hi please go to or-live<events@or-live.com> or you can login by using http://www.or-live.com/covidien they showing a video using sprayshield in surgery and you can send questions thanks,

________________________________ From: Mark in Seattle <mark7@skynetbb.com>

--
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2009 6:40:12 PM
Subject: Re: please help!

At Mon, 9 Mar 2009, vicki wrote: > >They say It's probably adhesions but the ct scan and xrays don't support >that. HELP!!! Can a ct scan miss this?

Mark writes:

I've seen a number of surgeans, too. And they've all said "It's probably adhesions." But there's something holding them back from doing something. I think there's two things holding them back.

1. There's no proof. Doctors, these days, are extremely concerned about operating on someone for no reason. They want evidence.

2. Adhesiolysis surgery has only a 46 to 87 percent chance of success. (World Journal of Surgery, March 2006)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16555020?dopt=Abstract

I know my ideals were sorely challenged by this, but apparently, you can't just open somebody up and look around without serious consequences.

There is a new technique for detecting adhesions which should help with the first problem: no proof. Eventually, fMRI could help with the second problem, too, by helping doctors better evaluate the 90 different patented techniques for treating adhesions. Right now, there's no good way to measure success other than just waiting years and decades for patients to return, or not to return. (Adhesions don't always cause problems right away. They hang around anywhere from weeks to years, and then "ouch." )

I wish you good success. Arm yourself with information. Bring information with you to your doctor. Ask for an fMRI. That's a good first step. If your doctor doesn't know how to detect adhesions using fMRI, show him/her the following citations and tell him/her to go look it up. And when he/she says that insurance won't pay for it... well that's another battle, altogether. I don't have any advice about that. Sorry.

2 Citations:

Radiology Andreas Lienemann, MD, Dorothee Sprenger, MD, Heinrich Otto Steitz, MD, Matthias Korell, MD and Maximillian Reiser, MD Radiology 2000 ;217:412-425, Detection and Mapping of Intraabdominal Adhesions by Using Functional Cine MR Imaging: Preliminary Results

European Radiology, June 2008 Sonja Buhmann-Kirchhoff, Reinhold Lang, Chlodwig Kirchhoff, Heinrich Otto Steitz, Karl Walter Jauch, Maximilian Reiser and Andreas Lienemann, European Radiology, June 2008, Functional cine MR Imaging for the Detection and Mapping of Intraabdominal Adhesions: Method and Surgical Correlation,

Good luck,

Yours,

Mark in Seattle

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: