Mon Mar 9 19:43:34 2009

At Mon, 9 Mar 2009, vicki wrote: >
>I have been in pain for 5 months. It's ok in the morning when I get out
>of bed, but when the day goes on, as I sit too long or bend too much the
>aggravating pain returns in my "kidney" area and around to my lower left
>side. It can get VERY bad by the end of the day, but if I lay down it
>gets better.. I have had a CT scan, xrays, urine tests, blood tests,
>and colonoscopy. I have been to 3 Dr's, and the emergency room 3 times
>for the same left flank pain that wraps around to the lower left side.
>They say It's probably adhesions but the ct scan and xrays don't support
>that. HELP!!! Can a ct scan miss this? I can relate to so many of the
>emails on this forum. Can anyone help me? I have a dr's apt tuesday
>3/10 with a surgeon. any advice? Thanks Vicki

Vicki, One problem with 'allopathic medicine' (i.e., the doctors we normally go to) is that it is pretty much 'organ' based and mostly they are trained to look for things they can see under a microscope within a specific organ- mainly cancer. Sure, they can put a cast on a broken arm and diagnose and prescribe medication for infections but their main focus is cancer or obvious issues with a particular organ.

It's like looking at a forest. An allopathic doctor is looking for a specific 'tree'- but is blind to the forest as a whole. They are lousy at 'whole body' medicine, which something like adhesions should be categorized as being in. Many of us have adhesions in multiple areas from the groin up to the chest, hence, they are not limited to one specific organ and do not fit neatly into any one specialty (i.e. gynecology, urology, gastroenterology, etc.) which is why patients like me have been bounced back and forth from one specilaist to another over the years, with each one telling me to 'go back to the other' and never accomplishing anything but a lighter wallet.

So, this would explain in part why diagnostic tools like the fMRI are not widely available even to this day- (at least, as far as I know they aren't readily available) because they aren't needed for a typical allopathic doctors' line of work. At least not until the problem of adhesions becomes more publicly recognized for causing the problems that they do.

That's why I'm doing what I can with letter writing, as others here have suggested. I'm going to do a new post about what I've been including in these letters.

Joan

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: