Re: The way to go!!!

Sun Mar 8 12:34:49 2009

I am interested in what you are using for anti-inflammatory supplements and/or diet and the results you are seeing. Donna

-----Original Message----- From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of Donna C Boggs Sent: Sunday, March 08, 2009 6:26 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Re: The way to go!!!

Celebrex is fantastic for adhesion pain! I have used it in the past with great results. I once tried waiting for the FDA approval of it before surgery, but succumbed before the launch of the drug.

Pain is, of course, the most obvious concern of ours and there are many drugs that will reduce pain. I have become rather masterful at dealing with the physical pain without drugs and only see the surgeon when the physical symptoms other than pain become too severe. When the adhesions start interfering with normal function of my colon then I make the appointment and start gearing up for another surgery. I am filled with adhesions that don't bother me a bit nor interfere with my overall excellent health. There is just one area that causes persistent problems that could become life-threatening. I can sense when it is time to get them cut back and start over again. I would rather have an "easy" out-patient surgery than an emergency bowel re-section or colostomy or suffer from toxic shock because my colon and bladder are so tied up that they can't eliminate toxins from my body.

I have wondered about the direct relationship between pain and inflammation and the formation/maturation of adhesions. I do believe that pain causes inflammation which causes the over-drive of the adhesion tissue to kick in. Depression causes chemical changes in the body that can cause water retention. Water retention causes depression and the whole cycle starts spiraling into itself. I think that there is the same kind of connection between the pain of adhesions being a direct cause of the inflammation response and its own spiral.

What I do know is that the adhesions that were cut back last Tuesday had blood supply and nerves. It is living tissue. That tissue was traumatized in surgery and is wounded. That wounded tissue is doing its best to repair itself. I have to pain what-so-ever from the surgery itself, I am not at all tender and barely bruised. My pain tolerance is very high. After three days, however, I could feel the same burning, stabbing sensations in the same place where the adhesions where a big problem. I know that it is the adhesion tissue itself trying to heal. I know that the nerves that were disturbed are inflamed and sending pain signals. I know that when blood supply is cut off from tissue that the tissue suffers and causes discomfort.

I am doing what I can to keep the inflammation response to a minimum through diet, supplements, exercise, and taking whatever anti-inflammatory that works for me in the moment. So far so good.

-----Original Message----- From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of Mark in Seattle Sent: Sunday, March 08, 2009 1:03 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Re: The way to go!!!

At Sat, 7 Mar 2009, Donna Johansen wrote: >

Interesting thing is that I have been on >large doses of Celebrex for the arthritis and my adhesion

problems >seemed to be relatively minor last fall to recently.

Mark writes:

Donna,

You should know that Celebrex has been shown to "dramatically" reduce adhesion formation in mice. In January 2006, doctors in Boston reported a surprise discovery. It's been written up. You can read more here:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com

search for 'adhesions'

Or you can look at the 'news' page on the home page of http://www.adhesions.org and search for the Crazy Glue article. It talks about Celebrex.

The strange thing is that I haven't heard anything new since 2005 about this. I wonder if anyone is looking into this discovery any further. There's nothing on the http://www.clinicalstudies.gov web-site. Maybe I just don't know where to look. I don't want to be a cynical person. So until I know different, I'm choosing to think that somebody somewhere is thinking about this.

But if the reports in mice are true and it works on humans, then maybe the celebrex you were taking for your arthritis has prevented the formation of adhesions after your surgery. If so, I'm very happy for you.

Yours,

Mark in Seattle

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: