Re: Barium Sulfate and adhesions. A link?

Sun Mar 8 00:29:05 2009

At Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Sabrina Parks wrote: >
>Also why cant a MRI, Cat scan or ultra sound show organs that may be matted together from adhesions?
>
>This doesnt make sence to me at all!!

Mark writes:

Sabrina,

I believe there has just been a discovery that will help doctors detect and create images of adhesions. It is still new, so I can't say for sure how much utility it will provide. But it's a ray of hope. Because I know how important it is for scientists to have a test. It will help everyone to have a good working test.

Citation: Andreas Lienemann, MD, Dorothee Sprenger, MD, Heinrich Otto Steitz, MD, Matthias Korell, MD and Maximillian Reiser, MD Radiology 2000 ;217:412-425, Detection and Mapping of Intraabdominal Adhesions by Using Functional Cine MR Imaging: Preliminary Results

Sonja Buhmann-Kirchhoff, Reinhold Lang, Chlodwig Kirchhoff, Heinrich Otto Steitz, Karl Walter Jauch, Maximilian Reiser and Andreas Lienemann, European Radiology, June 2008, Functional cine MR Imaging for the Detection and Mapping of Intraabdominal Adhesions: Method and Surgical Correlation,

You said you have a lot of anger that you don't want to stew about. Me too. Let's direct that energy to a place where it will do some good. Let's write letters. This new test is a good thing to write about. Perhaps it's time to open up the purse strings, and see which adhesion prevention method works the best. Celebrex, heated, humidified CO2, streptokinase (an enzyme) in a PHBV pouch in the abdomen, or any one of 90 other techniques. I think it's time to attract some attention. You sound like you'd be a good person to do that. Am I right?

Yours,

--
Mark in Seattle

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: