At Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Ellen Eggers wrote: >
>Several months ago, I wrote with a suggestion that I'm going to repeat
>because I was ignored. All of you have great ideas about getting
>information about ARD to the public, but I do not understand why no one
>is contacting Dr. David Wiseman, the founder of this organization. He
>has been working for many years, attempting to bring knowledge of ARD to
>the public and to the medical community. He and I tried to get a book
>on the subject published several years ago, but, ultimately failed for
>lack of large enough audience (in publishing terms, we are very few).
>
>One thing, however, was certain. No agent or publisher would even look
>at something I wrote alone. It didn't matter that I was a published
>writer, a victim of ARD, and someone who has found ways to successfully
>manage the disorder. I had no credibility without the backing of Dr.
>Wiseman, the known professional in the field of ARD. I can't imagine
>that television would be any different in that regard.

I have written to Oprah and Dr. Oz a few times myself over the past few years about addressing this subject, never getting any type of response. A few days ago I wrote suggesting doing a 'double-bill' show with Mary Lou Ballweg- president of the Endometriosis Association and Karen Steward- author of 'Doctors: Bound by Secrecy? Victims: Bound by Pain!' which is about her young daughters' struggle with severe symptoms that turned out to be due to adhesions. I just read this book which came out in 2007 and could relate too well to the hostility, resistance,indifference and lame, unfair labeling (i.e., IBS, depression, etc) that Karen and her daughter encountered during their 14-year search for relief. Another thing I appreciated about this book was that, although adhesions seem to be caused mainly by surgery, surgery is not the only cause of adhesions. If I understood correctly, they thought her daughter's issues may have began with something like PCOS where something could have burst. I know that mine started with some kind of injury 25 years ago from doing an intense, repetitive and physically demanding job. I often wonder if athletes, like football or baseball players, end up with ARDS from some of their injuries- like ones commonly referred to as 'groin injuries' but that due to privacy issues we don't hear all of the details of their injuries.

I figure that both endo and adhesions have a lot in common- especially the difficulty in obtaining proper diagnosis and effective treatments. Also, both conditions can cause adhesions and related symptoms, and seem to affect more women than men (although of course men do get adhesions- a few even have gotten endo if they take estrogen for prostrate cancer!).

I also have noticed, as I navigate this site, that many of the links seem to be from 2001 and before that time. It doesn't seem like there have really been any updates on general info about adhesions for the past 7 years, unless I'm not looking in the right places. I just clicked on the newsletter link, which was very interesting but it was dated 2001.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: