Re: Surgery--Would you do it again? (POLL)

Fri Feb 13 15:26:16 2009

Mark, I must sincerely apologize, as you are correct. My doctors stated that I am at risk of bowel "obstruction", not "rupture". They did say that it can lead to a rupture if left untreated and that could of course, lead to death. I should have been more clear.

I am very concerned though about having a bowel obstruction and having emergency surgery in the small town that I live in. The medical community here is very limited in both knowledge and open-mindedness. I would much rather take my chances with Dr. Redan at Celebrations (although I am terrified of surgery in general).

I don't think I am willing to be part of any trials for adhesion barriers at this point. I like the idea of "conservative" surgery. Another poster said it best a few days ago---get in, do only what you HAVE to and get out! I've not had any surgeries as of yet just for the purpose of removing adhesions and I am (like so many others here), fearful that they will only return and perhaps, worse.

--
Katie

>Mark writes: > >Isn't bowel rupture a rare, extreme event? I thought a bowel obstruction >or SBO was much, much more likely. No one has yet explained to me the >risk of bowel rupture. Please enlighten me. > >I will accept the risk of a potential SBO because I'm under the belief >that surgery for SBO can be done with roughly the same odds of success >as adhesiolysis, assuming you get a good surgeon using the latest >adhesion prevention techniques. (I'd like to say that I've taken steps >to guarantee that, but the truth is I haven't yet had that conversation >with my doctor and let him know my wishes about adhesion prevention.) >But a bowel rupture is a different thing, indeed. > >I know many of the people here have had an SBO. May I ask, how many >have had a bowel rupture? I'm genuinely curious. > >Yours, > >Mark in Seattle >

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: