waiting to live again

Sat Jan 24 13:37:53 2009

My name is Katie and I am 41.

Thirteen years ago I had my gallbladder removed. Over the next few years I had 2 c-sections and an appendectomy (that I did NOT need). I started having stomach/bowel problems about 3 years ago. I was told I had Sphincter of Oddi, had a bile duct placed and then removed about 30 days later. My symptoms continued. I was told that I had irritable bowel symdrome but fortunately, never believed the G.I. (I know my body), and so I never filled any of the prescriptions he gave me for IBS.

I had a colonoscopy that almost killed me and through that found out that I had colon strictures (adhesions). After that, I researched adhesions for 2 months when I finally found this site and Dr. Redan.

Let me say first, I have NOT had surgery with Dr. Redan and cannot give any kind of hope (real or false) to those that are about to have surgery with him. I met with him twice in '08 to discuss my case and possible surgery. What's stopping me? I told myself that I would not even consider surgery for adhesion removal until I have met 3 people with a long-term success story ... which I have not, as of yet.

I check this message board almost daily. It's the only thing reminding me that I am not alone in my pain and frustration with this "disease".

I applaud the poster that mentioned contacting Oprah Winfrey about this. Heaven knows she has discussed everything else on that show; it's about time someone gave a stage and microphone to this uphill battle with adhesions. It takes lives. Whether it takes your last breath matters not ... it removes quality of life for many.

I beg anyone with a success story of 2 years or more after adhesion removal, to please, please post your story here. You have no idea what it means to those of us that no longer know what "normal" is.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: