adhesions back so soon

Sun Oct 19 17:58:01 2008

Hi Stacy,

I am so sorry to hear of your situation - but I have to tell you you're not crazy ... they can come back just as quickly as that.

Five years ago I had a laparotomy to remove the adhesions that were blocking my bowels (#11 surgery) ...it took the surgeon 2.5hours to cut away all of the adhesions, peel my bladder away from my bowels and uterus, and then lay a whole bunch of Seprafilm around all of the organs to "prevent" the adhesions from returning.

Les than two days days post-operative I spiked a fever of 104 and started getting sick to my stomach and was in intense agony. The Dr.'s did an emergency CT scan and saw fluid in my abdomen - and rushed me to the OR because they thought I was bleeding internally. The surgeon just reopened the same incision line and was SHOCKED to see that not only had the Seprafilm not worked, but the adhesions he had so painstakingly removed less than 48 hours ago had re-formed just as dense! He said that he had never seen that before and if someone - even another surgeon - had told him adhesions could do that before he saw it for himself he would NEVER have believed them. He didn't cut them away again - he just lifted away what he could to make sure I wasn't bleeding internally (the fluid was from an infection) and he washed out what was left of the Seprafilm with saline solution and closed me back up. I have lived with the pain ever since. It took me almost 6 months to get the pain under c ontrol enough to get back to work...I'm still having a tough time but my Dr. said he wouldn't do another surgery unless it was to save my life and I have to agree. I don't know what would happen if I had another surgery since I now know there is nothing to stop them from growing back - and I have tried everything (except the spraygel of course)..

So you're probably spot on with thinking it's the adhesions. You're Dr. is wrong - they can and do grow back very quickly and I have my medical files to prove it - but he will never agree unless he sees it for himself.

Good luck to you - DT

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: