Re: Is this a bowel obstruction or what??

Wed Jul 5 15:59:39 2006

>  OK now my question I've had dirrhea now for 3 days
> straight with wave like pains and nausea 

I agree that this incident warrants medical documentation. With adhesions, our symptoms do not always present in a way that we get a concrete finding. Sometimes, the bizzare things we experience that medicine cannot prove at the time become relevant at a later stage.

I cannot express enough the need to DOCUMENT or journalize your trials and tribulations in a little pocket notebook. The Doctors really appreciate this kind of logging, and it may also help the Doc's narrow down issues.

I also wanted to add, that I also had all the classic IBS problems and even was given that diagnosis. Due to my journaling over a year, they suspected something else and ran tests. All the tests came back negative.

It was 10 years later, and FINALLY they caught the little bugger on a small bowel follow thru. What was believed to be a series of small bowel obstructions was proven to be 2 fistula's communicating between large and small bowel causing a malabsorption and dumping diarrhea syndrome. These fistula's are one way and open close with exertion, lifting or bending.

I am 49, I have had 9 laporotomies over 30 years, and fistula's are a complication risk of numerous surgeries, adhesions and bowel manipulations.

Had I NOT kept a journal to show pattern and detail [documented pain, when pain came on, diarrhea, and how long until I got pain relief etc, what I was doing when it came on etc], the Doc's would have never looked beyond the conveniant catch all diganosis of, "IBS".

BUT, the most important benefit out of keeping this journal was my being able to recognize the triggers that set me off. Had I not kept this journal I would still be guessing.

Once I knew my triggers [bending, lifting, walking after eating etc], I went to Xray had the barium test small bowel follow thru [2 hour time based study], I slipped off and went to my home 5 mins away, tossed a 25lb bucket of floor glue around, pissed off my adhesions and went back to Xray for the final film.

Bingo, the fistula's opened, the barium short cutted, the films proved my case which was never taken serious for 10 years. I was told it was in my head, I was told IBS, I was told it is just adhesions live with it, I was never taken serious and never treated for pain.

Now, that I finally got a diagnosis which cannot be disputed, and the Docs have their black and white proof, they cannot do enough for me....they treat me with respect now, give me tons of pain meds, back me for disability application.

Little to much to late, when I needed them they could not bother with me. I will carry that hurt forever when I think about how I was handled when I was suffering. It just angers me when tests come back negative how quickly we fall off their priority of care.

Document, Document, Document....both medically via appts, and personal journaling....should you ever apply for disability, this comes in handy.

All My Love,

Ms.Lee

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: