Re: epidural and pain management

Sun Nov 20 06:29:10 2005

Hi Ann,

I'm so sorry to read you letter. You are getting the same treatment that me

and many others have experienced and in this day and age we would all hope that this wouldn't continue to occur. I had a Dr. who refused to even see me because he insisted that adhesions don't cause pain! He was adament about it and when I called it a "disease" he laughed in my face and said "prove it". I got on his computer in his office (with his permission) and called up about 5 websites (including Adhesions.Org) and showed him that there is such a thing called "adhesions disease". Despite that he refused to see me and tell you the truth I didn't want to see him either he was so stupid and set in his ignorant ways.

I had to wait 4 months before getting to see the pain mgmt Dr. ... they had me do the nurses first, then the mental health part (I had to go to sessions

with a psychiatrist for the first three months to be sure it wasn't all in my head) and only then did I get to see a Dr. and finally be treated for the

agonizing pain that was robbing me of everything I loved in life.

The good part is, once its all done - you are in and you should be in good hands. If you haven't heard anything in three weeks just politely call up and ask if there is anything else you should be doing or they need from you.

You really have to be careful with these people - if you show attitude or get mad at the slowness of the pace of things they might get nasty or think you are just in it for the drugs. They have a whole list of attributes that

they watch for in patients, and if you are classified in any of them you'll get no help at all (except referral to mental health). I think on one hand its barbaric when it involves people like us, but on the other hand I can see their side of it because so many drug addicts are highly skilled at getting meds and pain management is like hittin the lottery to them.

Whatever happens, do not give up on your own life. Educate your family about your disease (the adhesions), check your state laws to see if the disease is on the disability list (I'm in Mass and it is a bonafide disability in Mass) and try to get as many advocates on your side. Also find a new Dr.

The sad truth is you are probably going to fight this mostly on your own, but don't give up. There are some decent Dr.s out there and you've got to do some research and find them.

I wish you the best of luck. Keep coming to this site and hang in there.

--
DT

>----- Original Message ----- Sender: nevilleridings96@aol.com (Ann ) Subject: epidural and pain management > > Hey everyone! I just had an epidural done to try to find the cause of my > persistent left-sided low back and flank pain, which also radiates down > into the groin and pelvic area. I was sent to an orthopedic doc by my > urologist, which I go to for ureteral strictures. I had a recent renal > scan done and it turned out good, so I asked him did he think that it > could be the adhesions. I won't bore ya'll with the details but I have > had 4 major abdominal surgeries for endo, adhesions, etc. He said could > be, but he wanted to find out if my back was okay.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: