Re: adhesions wrapping around small intestine

Fri Feb 4 20:50:15 2005

Karen,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately it can recurr. My first obstruction from adhesions was while i was pregnant with my son 15 years ago. it went undiagnosed and my intestines ruptured during delivery. I have unfortunately had 13 bowel obstructions since. Only 6 were able to be relieved with an NG tube. I've had to have adhesions removed due to extreme pain or obstruction an additional 6 times. I feel for you and I am so sorry you have to join the ranks of the rest of us who suffer from this viscious cycle. Please know that you are not alone. The most important things to remember are to keep the bowels moving, try to avoid surgery at every cost as it only creates more adhesions. If surgery is a must, try to have it done by laprascope because open procedures are like pouring gasoline on a fire as far as adhesions go. Pain goes with the territory.

I've found that heating pads (or warm compresses) sometimes help, gentle massage on the abdomen and lower back and a low fiber/residue diet. Avoid gassy foods and milk products as most of us are lactose intolerant also for some reason. I've also found that lifting anything over 20 lbs can cause spasm...so can stretching and sit-ups... you be the judge there.

I will keep you in my prayers. It's a shame we all have to suffer like this. Hopefully one day someone will find a cure for what has changed our lives forever.

Hugs and prayers,

Jeanne Surdo

> Sender: snowie1994@aol.com (karen)
> Subject: adhesions wrapping around small intestine
>
> i have had severe adhesions for several years.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: