post-gallbladder removal adhesions?? What to do next?

Sat Jan 8 17:42:00 2005

Hi I'm new, and baffled and confused about what's wrong wit me and what to dfo next.

I had a cholioscetomy in mid-november, no stones but extensive inflammation and scarring (and 8% function). In the first week revoery seemed easy but pretty quickly I noticed my right side was getting "bound down" My lower ribs can't be seen they've been pulled in and down and I couldn't turn or get a full breath. I had a previous more superficial suregery and had adhesions from the incisions to my ribs-right side only-that were somewhat resolved by physical therapy (I managed to dislocate a shoulder before getting treatment).

So I went to the same PT who thought I ahd some major adhesions, I went to the surgeon who was mostly offended that i was bothering him but conceded I might have an adhesion to my diaphram but would not confirm or deny it and sent me to my GP. The GP prescribed painkillers (I'm having back sapsms, ab spasms and so forth from continuing to try to stand uperight and funciton)and an anti-inflammatory.

He agreed to send my to PT after an X-ray showed my scoliosis was much worse now (right leaning spinal curavture which of course is worse if your right side is bound down).

Its now close to 8 weeks since surgey, the pt has helped much of the surface problems but I still have a deeper pain that feels like it is inside my lower ribs and attached all the way to my belly button. The PT says these are deeper adhesions.

The GP and surgeon say you can't feel or diagnose adhesions. I think they are hoping it will all just go away, the GP has suggested accupuncture for pain. The PT has me continuing therapy (release, massage, ultrasound and stretching as well as a stretching routine and aqua jogging).

Although initial pT really helped i feel I'm stuck now the problem seems to be too deep but I'm willing to keep trying. What i don't know is what to try and who to turn to. Do I keep chasing the GP or surgeon, continue the PT and wait and see? In addition to the continued pain and difficulty turning (I can't breathe when I twist which makes driving and so forth hard), my abdominal area swells daily. I can't wear my regualr clothes and i'm in a lot of pain by the end of the day. Prior to this surgery I was very active-a long distance swimmer and triathlete I really need the exercise to keep my back balanced so I keep Aqua Jogging and stretching and hoping.

After reading through this board i feel pretty lucky to have "only" these problems but still terribly confused about my course of action. A lot of people aorund me eihter think my surgeon did something really wrong or that i'm crazy, I don't think its either.

One last bit of background-logn ago I had an ortho knee surgery and formed adhesions the surgeon was just about to go abck in (after months of pt) when a long motorcycle ride on a dirt road somehwo released the tightness of the adhesions. SInce my adhesions seem to be more sturctural (rahter than GI type) I'm still hoping some similar release can be found. Thanks for any advice or observations!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: