Appointment Update

Mon Oct 4 13:40:14 2004

I had my appointment yesterday with my oncologist and discussed how to move forward. I was very pleased with my doctor and his honesty in my situation. He does not feel a hysterectomy is necessary...WOO HOO! I was so pleased when he said that. Although he would be able to perform the lapartomy to remove the endometrioma and adhesions, he was honest enough to acknowledge his lack of experience in my particular situation since the laparotomy would require a reconstruction of the abdomen. His specialty is more complete removal rather than a reconstructive surgery (I guess that is the best way to put it). He would like to do the surgery and would certainly do it but long story short, he recommended I contact Dr. Reich. He spoke very highly of Dr. Reich and feels confident that he would be able to perform the surgery I need by way of laparoscopy and not doing an open incision. I did place that call when I returned home and of course I got a voicemail and left a message. I went to a website that you can submit your information to them also which I did. I really hope to hear from them Monday!

Can anyone tell me their experience as far as getting in touch with Dr. Reich and arranging the surgery? How long did it take to schedule and have the surgery from your initial contact with them? Was it an outpatient or did you have to stay overnight? Do they require pre-testing at their hospital or can it be done in my hometown and data forwarded to them? Does he require post-op appts. be with him or did you return to your hometown and followup with your regular gynecologist? (so sorry for all the questions)

My insurance will cover 80% of the surgery because Dr. Reich is out of network so the max out of my pocket would be $250 deductible and $2000 out-of-pocket max (if he were in network they would cover 100% of everything including no deductible). My fiance and I were planning a trip up into NY by way of Wilkes Barre anyway the last week of October and would like to arrange the surgery for that time period but don't know if that is unrealistic on my part to think it can be arranged that quickly.

Thank you so very much for your support, help and advice. It is comforting to have such a wonderful group of people to correspond with.

~ Karyn

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: