Re: uterus adhesions to abdominal wall-CAUTION!

Wed Sep 29 23:41:27 2004

Jools:

I can't say this strongly enough. Do TONS of research before you consent to an open surgery of any kind. The best doctors in this field believe that most, if not all, abdominal surgeries can be done laparoscopically. You have seen it yourself from your C-sections. Those huge incisions have to heal and this healing IS what adhesions are. They are scar tissue. With the laparoscopy, you only have 2 or 3 tiny incisions that have to heal, so the act of surgery in itself is not as traumatic. The best surgeons can do all of the necessary work inside without the huge opening.

Another caution. Thermal damage, such as what occurs when they use a laser or cautery on you, also has to heal and it also results in more adhesions. I learned all of this the VERY hard way. I have had 6 surgeries. Numbers 1-4 all utilized one of these methods of adhesiolysis (laser or cautery). The pain got worse after each one. My uterus was glued to my colon and abdominal wall. One tube and ovary were encased so bad, they had to be cut just so that my organs could lie in their anatomically correct places. I was at my wits end, so I consented to a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy done via a laparotomy (open incision). Big, big mistake. Again, thermal lysis of the adhesions with the huge incision made the adhesions come back with a vengance. It got very bad. I couldn't eat any meat or cheese. I couldn't go to the bathroom without using magnesium citrate (I call it draino!). The pain was unrelenting. It was then that I discovered this website and began to learn about this incideous disease.

After much research, investigation, and contact with others with this condition, I had surgery with Dr. Reich and Dr. Gerhart (IAS sponsors) in Pennsylvania. Dr. Reich told me that he never does open incisions on purpose anymore. This was a year ago this past August. It was significantly different. They didn't use hardly any heat. They cut through the adhesions with blunt scissors. It makes sense to me because the adhesion itself doesn't have nerves, so the body doesn't have to react to damage like heat applied to the uterus or colon or abdominal wall. They also use this tool that squirted liquid as it stopped any incidental bleeding.

After six surgeries, I'm sure that there is damage that will never be completely fixed. My digestive system is sluggish, so I take Miralax to keep things moving. Other that this, I feel good. I can eat and function. I exercise and maintain a full life. I have occassional twinges of pain, but Advil takes care of it. I doubt that I am cured, but this outcome was significantly better than any of the others. It was worth the hassle to travel to see an expert in this field. It's a narrow field and I have learned that most OB/GYN surgeons don't really know what they are talking about in terms of adhesions. If I ever need surgery again, I'll definitely make the trip again.

Feel free to e-mail if you have more questions.

--
Nancy

At Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Jools wrote: > >hello all - just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on uterus >adhesions. i had my second c-section in feb 2004. i had no problems >with my first c section in feb 2001 so i presumed everything would be >ok. within 2 months after the c- section i knew something wasn't quite >right.,,,,,

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: